Steven Wilson will produce Orphaned Land!

Angeleyes Part II said:
I bought both the albums "The Knowing" and "To Welcome The Fade" this afternoon.. I just didn't listen to it yet!...I'm still so into TPHD,I really doubt they can be better then that!...I dunno,which one should I listen first?...

Well,i dunno about TON,I only know the song "Black No.1" which isn't so bad imo..all i know is,TON = Peter Steele = BIG!!

I dunno, flip a coin or something. They're both great.

As for TON, get the album "October Rust," it shouldn't disappoint! "Black No. 1" is a lot simpler and more "rock" than most of the stuff on October Rust, October Rust has a lot of very slow songs with huge thick sound and tons of keyboard and very...masculine vocals. Some of my female friends say he has the sexiest voice ever. :p It's a gorgeous album, though. If you're one to download stuff before buying it, try getting the songs "Wolf Moon," "Die With Me," "Haunted," "In Praise of Bacchus," and "Burnt Flowers Fallen."

To be honest; I am a Carnivore-fan. When they split up I believe there was a new Carnivore album in the making which would have been called "Zubzero" or something. I even think Peter (in that time still Petrus) thought about calling his new band like that, but then it became Type O-Negative.

The first TON ( Slow, Deep and Hard) was much like Carnivore, only slower and longer (and deeper and harder, heheh) and a little less thrashy. I thought Bloody Kisses was brilliant, because it added a new dark and strange element to the sound. Like an evil Sisters of Mercy; such held-back anger and darkness; great!!!

October Rust was the album that broke with the "old" style and suddenly they sounded like a heavier Danzig or something. All the magic was gone. I didn't even bother to check out the newer album(s). :loco:

I think that Bloody Kisses appealed to a wider audience and he went for the money. Gothic was (and still is) very hip at that time.

His voice never sounded better than in the middle part of the Carnivore song "Male Supremacy."

I love Carnivore, I still listen to them all the time. I can remember thinking what an odd sounding band they were back in 1987. Now I guess most people would find it run of the mill, perhaps. But I still think those albums have alot to offer.

I don't think TON's change in sound, if you can call it that, had anything to do with money. Shit, Peter made more money when he worked for the parks district in Brooklyn than he ever did with TON. While I'm sure there was some conscious thought regarding staying somewhat commercially relevant, I think their sound change had more to do with him and Josh wanting to bring forth more of their older influences like The Beatles and '80s gothic music. It gets to a point where after so many years, most musicians tend to get a bit tired of the constant heavy crushing onslaught that permeated most of their early works. That being said, I'd like to see a better mix of "October Rust" and the earlier feel of "Slow Deep and Hard" on their next cd. Some songs on the last cd definitely walked that line, at least.

And I do think you're right about him considering calling the band Subzero at some point. The original name that TON went by, actually, was Repulsion. They even got some national press under that name as I recall, but then they found out about the other Repulsion (the now legendary thrash/death metal band) and so they changed the name to TON.

wankerness said:
Here, I'll post a couple short bits from songs
http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/distances.mp3
http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/everasia.mp3

They sound to me like that stereotypical Italian pizza making music, especially the second :)

It's obviously not nearly this 'italian' all the time, but as you can probably see it's sometimes very apparent.(

:lol: I knew someone had to throw in a pizza sooner or later..But you couldn't be more wrong,the "pizza vibe" is in the first sample "Distances" :p

Mabye i can get "Novembrine Waltz" next month,at the Katatonia/Novembre gig..any other album which is worth to listen too,just incase...?..:)

Angeleyes Part II said:
I'm trying to listen "To Welcome The Fade" .....but it makes me cry all the time...

Your not kidding when you say your emotional then....I must admit ND has made me shed a tear once or twice.

wankerness said:
In Absentia is their best album, yeah. Deadwing was pretty boring imo. I like Lightbulb Sun and Recordings are good too, but the other stuff I've heard (Signify, Stupid Dream) wasn't very exciting.
How can you like Lightbulb Sun/Recordings and dislike Stupid Dream? You should really give it some more spins, songs like "Even Less", "Slave Called Shiver", "Don't Hate Me", and on and on, amazing album! Do yourself a favour! Same for Deadwing, give it time!! It'll pay off, the undisputed album of the year 2005 for me!
wankerness said:
As for Type O Negative, my problem with the last one was the schizophrenic nature of it. There's a bunch of absolute crap rockers on it (especially 'i like goils') and very few of the songs that are what endeared them to me in the first place. October Rust I consider one of the best albums ever, it's just gorgeous. World Coming Down was about half great. The earlier stuff is sorta hit and miss, I like some of all of them, but none of them come close to OR/WCD to me.
Life Is Killing Me is just not interesting, the songs don't hold my attention. World Coming Down has some awesome moments I think, especially "White Slavery" is frickin' amazing. But "Bloody Kisses" is my favourite no doubt.

@ Septembers Marc, indeed he went for the money on October Rust, Peter blatantly admitted it in interviews ("I'm sure we can make it into a money making opportunity for the record company" *insert sarcasm*). An easy single ("My Girlfriend's Girlfriend") and focus on the 'soft' melodic parts of Bloody Kisses.

I still remember the adds for the album, "for immediate disappointment, call *phonenumber*" (this was before internet and mp3) :lol:.

MadTinus said:
How can you like Lightbulb Sun/Recordings and dislike Stupid Dream? You should really give it some more spins, songs like "Even Less", "Slave Called Shiver", "Don't Hate Me", and on and on, amazing album! Do yourself a favour! Same for Deadwing, give it time!! It'll pay off, the undisputed album of the year 2005 for me!

I dunno, Deadwing's better than Stupid Dream probably. Stupid Dream was the first I heard of them (i saw it in a used cd store for like 3 dollars and figured I should get it) and it sounded to me like a more repetitive, prog version of radiohead. I still don't feel like that cd has much variation compared to the others. I like "tinto brass" but I sure don't like that one song that ripped off the intro from megadeth - wanderlust ;_; Even Less is pretty good I guess but I like the version on 'recordings' better.

FUBAR said:
Your not kidding when you say your emotional then....I must admit ND has made me shed a tear once or twice.

No,honestly..I made it thru the first song on TWTF,and then when broken starts...I'm still ok,but when that same song reach Nora's singing:
"Can you look me in the eyes
And tell me everything’s all right?
If we talk about tomorrow
How can I stop your tears?"
Then after that I'm losing it,with Pauls voice and words in combination with the music...that's were the tears come...

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Yeah listening to some of that album makes me cry too, but for different reasons LOL

:Smug:

Come on Larry,I'm sure there has to be a particular album or song from whatever band that hits your emotional button as well?...

Angeleyes Part II said:
:Smug:

Come on Larry,I'm sure there has to be a particular album or song from whatever band that hits your emotional button as well?...

Oh there are plenty of songs/albums, etc., that affect me emotionally. I wasn't poking fun at that, you misunderstood. I was making fun of ourselves, saying that TWTF makes me sad but not for the same reasons as you (i.e. I hate parts of that album haha) It's an inside joke I guess, nevermind.

As for straying off-topic, almost every one of our threads gets derailed by someone at some point, so I can do it to others, so there! hahaha

Ah we tried whining, didn't work. Then we tried chinese water torture and the bastards still didn't relent, so now we say fuck it. Or we delete it. LOL The only threads we really would like to make sure stay on topic and not go too far astray are the ones with official news from ND.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
(i.e. I hate parts of that album haha)

Well I haven't got a clue what ya mean? but I can't see how anyone could possibly hate any parts of TWTF,each song is a brilliant piece of work!!..
The music on TWTF is way much more stronger in an emotional sense then on TPHD...
Were TPHD has songs wich really touch me more when it comes to the lyrics.... TWTF has without a doubt,absolutly everything to hit an emotional button...Amazing!! But hey...what do I know..I'm not a musician..:) And that's not meant to sound sarcastic! No chinese water for me please!..:lol: