Stick this in your player (Accept)

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Though I am a huge Accept fan, I do't often listen to the very early Accept, but I decided to stick in "Breaker." I almost split my side when "Son of a Bitch" came on. I forgot how cool and funny that was. All you oldschoolers out there should put that track on if you have the CD. I got a big kick out of it. I had to listen to it about four times in a row before I could change the track.

Bryant

I used to be friends with them during the breaker period. I got to see them 2 or 3 times a week when they toured. I *love* early Accept. They were the shit those day's.

When "Reckless and Wild" was released "Fast as a Shark" was a sensation. Probably the first speed metal song released. Drummer Stefan Kaufmann had a drum kit with bass drums of one and a half meter long!

Hawk said:
I used to be friends with them during the breaker period. I got to see them 2 or 3 times a week when they toured. I *love* early Accept. They were the shit those day's.

When "Reckless and Wild" was released "Fast as a Shark" was a sensation. Probably the first speed metal song released. Drummer Stefan Kaufmann had a drum kit with bass drums of one and a half meter long!
Damned !! Those were my boys. I am an Accept fanatic. BTW it is "Restless and Wild." I didn't actually discover them until "Metal Heart" but I own everything they released aside from compilations.

As far as Accept writing the first speed metal song, Stefan was playing double bass back during the "Breaker" era. That was practically unheard of. Stefan also used "electonic" drums during "Balls to the Wall" like during "Losing More Than You've Ever Had" back when that was also unheard of in metal music. The band also brought the begining of the male or "gang vocals." Accept might not have ever received the fame bands like Maiden and Priest did but they were true innovators of modern metal and to me sound less dated (BTW - RR) than any band of that era including Priest, Maiden and any of the other "big boys" of the time though some of that can be credited to producer Dieter Dirks because The Scorps who Dirks produced as well also still has a "big sound" for that era.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Damned !! Those were my boys. I am an Accept fanatic. BTW it is "Restless and Wild." I didn't actually discover them until "Metal Heart" but I own everything they released aside from compilations.

As far as Accept writing the first speed metal song, Stefan was playing double bass back during the "Breaker" era. That was practically unheard of. Stefan also used "electonic" drums during "Balls to the Wall" like during "Losing More Than You've Ever Had" back when that was also unheard of in metal music. The band also brought the begining of the male or "gang vocals." Accept might not have ever received the fame bands like Maiden and Priest did but they were true innovators of modern metal and to me sound less dated (BTW - RR) than any band of that era including Priest, Maiden and any of the other "big boys" of the time though some of that can be credited to producer Dieter Dirks because The Scorps who Dirks produced as well also still has a "big sound" for that era.

Bryant
Your right on the ball Bryant!

You really know your stuff :) And yes Accept were true innovators. Unjustly underapreciated, although in The Netherlands during the very early 80s they were wildly populair. They played at a prominent spot on the Aardschok festival in, I believe 1982 in Den Bosh. And were played on national radio in our hourly metal programm presented by Hanneke who was a very nice female singer who did that show.

The Accept people were a bunch of nice guy's. Wolf was GREAT, very friendly and modest!! Peter kicked total ass! Jorg Fisher was quit but nice. Udo was nice but kept to himself as was Stefan.

Raven and Accept got good friends in fact it was through Accept that Raven got to know Michael Wagner who would later procude their " All For One" album.

Man, those day's were great, I just started the Dynamo Club, wrote for the biggest Dutch metal mag Aardschok [I interviewd Iron Maiden, Raven, Saxon etc], saw a few concerts every week, met with the people from the bands I liked, [Maiden, Saxon, Gillan, Vardis, Motorhead, Accept, Dokken, Anvil, Jaguar, Mercyfull Fate] end had lots of fun.

I remember coming back from a concert at 17:15 AM, ringing at the doorof my parental home, getting my lunchpack from my mother and going to work without getting of my bike :headbang:

Well, I hope I don't bore you guy's to death with tales from an old geezer :lol:

Hawk said:
Well, I hope I don't bore you guy's to death with tales from an old geezer :lol:

Are you kidding???!!! More More More!!!! Sounds like you had some wild times as a kid (20 something). :)

I'd love to hear more of Hawk's stories! More! More!

...But, i don't wanna cause an argument here, but i actually credit DEEP PURPLE for inventing speed metal(not thrash, they are different). Listen to "Fireball","Highway Star", "Pictures Of Home",hell, even "Speed King"! And if you listen carefully to "Fireball", there IS double bass in that song. Not FAST double bass, but it IS there.

Wicked Child said:
...But, i don't wanna cause an argument here, but i actually credit DEEP PURPLE for inventing speed metal(not thrash, they are different). Listen to "Fireball","Highway Star", "Pictures Of Home",hell, even "Speed King"! And if you listen carefully to "Fireball", there IS double bass in that song. Not FAST double bass, but it IS there.
How about "Light in the Black" by Rainbow, fast double bass in there :Spin:

Hawk said:
Your right on the ball Bryant!

You really know your stuff :) And yes Accept were true innovators. Unjustly underapreciated, although in The Netherlands during the very early 80s they were wildly populair. They played at a prominent spot on the Aardschok festival in, I believe 1982 in Den Bosh. And were played on national radio in our hourly metal programm presented by Hanneke who was a very nice female singer who did that show.

I know Accept was big in Germany and probably the eastern side of Western Europe, but really only BttW and MH did much West of there. I'm not saying they were an "unknown" band by any means even in the US, but they never received the press Maiden, Priest and The Scorps received and I felt like they were the best band of that early-mid 80's era.
Sounds like you had a blast with those guys. Wish I could have been there. Aside from being a big Accept fan, I am also a big fan of Wolf as a guitarist. His work from MH - RR is absolutely incredible. Would love to have met those guys. Peter seems like a wild and crazy rock and roll guy.

Bryant

Fangface said:
How about "Light in the Black" by Rainbow, fast double bass in there :Spin:
Very true! ONE of the first, but those Purple songs came first, thus, the first. And if you have any doubts, listen to the riffwork of the songs. Textbook speed metal.

Bryant said:
Sounds like you had a blast with those guys. Wish I could have been there. Aside from being a big Accept fan, I am also a big fan of Wolf as a guitarist. His work from MH - RR is absolutely incredible. Would love to have met those guys. Peter seems like a wild and crazy rock and roll guy.
Bryant
I did, I did. Yes Peter was fucking crazy! But the most crazy and friendly band members I ever met were John and Mark Gallagher from Raven. Just to see them live was/is a sensation. Most of the time they were wilder then their audience. I alway got on the side of the stage and John used to complain about finding my dandruff on his bass pedals :). Now and then he would bump my head with the back of his bass. I pretended not to notice and just bang away into oblivion :lol:

You could be in their dressing room talking to John when Mark would bust in screaming like a banshee pouring beer all over us. The next thing you'd know you were involved in an water/beer/soda pop fight with John, Mark and the crew!!

They were great. I am on the back of their second album "Wiped out" and you can see part of me on the last page of the cd version.This is the page with the sigles chart on the left. Look on the left bottom you'll see a guy with long hair and glasses and a pointy nose. That's me in 1982. I'll see if I can scan the back of that album and show you guy's a more clear picture.

Another tale of Hawk. Hope you liked it.

Hawk said:
I did, I did. Yes Peter was fucking crazy! But the most crazy and friendly band members I ever met were John and Mark Gallagher from Raven. .
-Snip-

That's cool as hell !! I don't know who the coolest is that I have met. Probably one of the wildest was Dirk Thurich (lead singer) from Angel Dust. Steinar Krokmo (bass player for Pagans Mind) was a total trip too. Of course Pagans Mind is a new band so they probably are loving the attention, but as a whole band, I don't think I have ever met a better group of guys. Maybe Norwegians are just very friendly, but another band from there Spiral Architect (though I don't like their music) were also very very nice and truly appreciated their fans.
As far as old-school guys, Ronnie Dio has always been great to his fans and Yngwie Malmsteen (from my limited experience) surprisingly enough, though very critical of music in general and other artists is very nice to his fans. Doro Pesch is also a very nice lady though she probably barely qualifies as "oldschool."

Bryant

Bryant said:
-Snip-

That's cool as hell !! I don't know who the coolest is that I have met. Probably one of the wildest was Dirk Thurich (lead singer) from Angel Dust. Steinar Krokmo (bass player for Pagans Mind) was a total trip too. Of course Pagans Mind is a new band so they probably are loving the attention, but as a whole band, I don't think I have ever met a better group of guys. Maybe Norwegians are just very friendly, but another band from there Spiral Architect (though I don't like their music) were also very very nice and truly appreciated their fans.
As far as old-school guys, Ronnie Dio has always been great to his fans and Yngwie Malmsteen (from my limited experience) surprisingly enough, though very critical of music in general and other artists is very nice to his fans. Doro Pesch is also a very nice lady though she probably barely qualifies as "oldschool."

Bryant
I sometimes say that the nicest people in the metal crowd in general are those in bands. There's a lot to say for that.

Wicked Child said:

Indeed, I also believe Highway Star was the first speed metal song ever but the seeds were sown with Fireball and Speed King. :kickass:

I remember Accept as one of the most popular metalbands when I was a kid back in the eighties. They were really great.
I saw them live once in the mid nineties and Udos voice really impressed me. I´d say he´s one of the best metal singers ever.

Tom75 said:
I remember Accept as one of the most popular metalbands when I was a kid back in the eighties. They were really great.
I saw them live once in the mid nineties and Udos voice really impressed me. I´d say he´s one of the best metal singers ever.
I coulodn't agree more, but to be honest he was a very aquired taste for me. I didn't like him at first. I just loved how tight the band was and how good of a guitarist Wolf was, but once I warmed up to Udo, he quickly became one of my favorites. Few vocalists can match his intensity. After a heart-attack and turning 52 years of age, he's still going strong. Udo is a metal warrior.

Bryant

Hawk said:
I sometimes say that the nicest people in the metal crowd in general are those in bands. There's a lot to say for that.
Well I think it's that way for several reasons:

First, if you are going to give the effort to play in a metal band, you must love the music and being around other metal-heads should just automatically make you happy.

Second, while it's not your "job" to be friendly, it certainly could help you sell records.

Third, most band members have want to be recognized for their work, for their art, so of course they are happy to talk to fans.

Lastly, there is also a little bit of "rock star" mentality in musicians. Many want to be entertaining both on and off stage.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Though I am a huge Accept fan, I do't often listen to the very early Accept, but I decided to stick in "Breaker." I almost split my side when "Son of a Bitch" came on. I forgot how cool and funny that was. All you oldschoolers out there should put that track on if you have the CD. I got a big kick out of it. I had to listen to it about four times in a row before I could change the track.

Bryant
While, I'm not a fan of Accept, I have to say when I think of Accept I think of that track(S.O.B.). I think "Balls" is overrated & that's probably what people know of the band. If you're into death metal there's a cover of that track on Six Feet Under's Gaveyard Classics, check it.