Accept --- overlooked?

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
Man, I've been in an Accept mood for a few days now. I've been listening to their albums over and over, and I've found that the stuff has really held up over the years. It doesn't sound dated to me. So the more I listen the more I think that they should get a little more credit. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a huge fan, but I'm starting to think that they should be talked about in the same breath as Priest, Maiden, Dio, Metallica and "insert any big name band here".

What do the rest of you think, are they overlooked as being one of the best 80's metal bands? How about you Bryant (you being our resident Accept uber-fan), do they get enough credit?

I just found my cassette copy of Staying A Life. I'm going to burn it to CD. Maybe it will stand up... :kickass:

I saw Accept open for Dio in 1986. Great show. One of the few openers I've seen with a full house in California. :worship:

Greeno said:
Man, I've been in an Accept mood for a few days now. I've been listening to their albums over and over, and I've found that the stuff has really held up over the years. It doesn't sound dated to me. So the more I listen the more I think that they should get a little more credit. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a huge fan, but I'm starting to think that they should be talked about in the same breath as Priest, Maiden, Dio, Metallica and "insert any big name band here".

What do the rest of you think, are they overlooked as being one of the best 80's metal bands? How about you Bryant (you being our resident Accept uber-fan), do they get enough credit?

I think Accept absolutely deserves to mentioned with the likes of Priest and Maiden etc. I personally think they are better than _______ (insert any oldschool metal band here) because they have been, are now and will probably always will be my favorite oldschool metal band.
I think despite the great bass work by Mr. Harris, and the twin guitar work by Tipton/Downing I think the musicianship of Accept was superior to both Priest and Maiden. The production was better as well which is why they don't sound dated. I bet even some fans of Priest and Maiden would acknowledge that. The backing vocals were easily some of the best ever and go ask any guitar fans what they think of Wolf. I also think they had as many hooks in their music as any band ever to play an electric guitar. I am in no way knocking Priest or Maiden, just using them as examples because of their fame.
The question is why Accept isn't regarded as highly as Priest, Maiden or Dio and that is a mystery to me. If I had to guess I would say that it is because Udo is a bit more of a challenging listen. His vocals are strange. Secondly some of the lyrics might frighten some off as well. In my ears, they were the total package.

Bryant

Its funny you should post this Greeno, as i listened to Russian Roulette twice in a row last night which is a mean feat. in my house with a wife & baby! Anyway I was thinking how I never felt they received the respect the deserve.

They certainly should be spoken of in the same breath as Priest/Maiden, I agree with all Bryants points.

Stand Tight!

They lost me during the Restless and Wild to Metal Heart stretch. Instead of each album getting better, they were getting worse.

I discovered Restless and Wild purely by accident in 1982. Having bought it deaf I had no idea what to expect. Then on comes a scratchy old phonograph recording of a girl singing gaily...Hi De Hi Do Hi Da... I thought, "oh fuck what did I waste my money on now", and then came the blistering scream and one of the heaviest fastest songs I'd ever heard at the time. Very impressive. It was a very pleasant shock and I still love listening to R&W today with those memories firmly entrenched.

Balls to the Wall was really good, but my friends and I always viewed it as a bit of a sell-out. Too commercial, and grossly over-exposed (it was played at every damn party we went to in '83-'84).

Metal Heart was the last album I bought of theirs, and I only vaguely remember it as being okay. By then my flavor for Accept was probably tainted. I haven't heard any of their stuff since, except maybe in passing. I have no idea what their 90s material is like.

NP: Orphaned Land - Mabool

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Metal Heart was the last album I bought of theirs, and I only vaguely remember it as being okay. By then my flavor for Accept was probably tainted. I haven't heard any of their stuff since, except maybe in passing. I have no idea what their 90s material is like.

NP: Orphaned Land - Mabool

I am officially flying to Arizona to personally kick your ass !!! Ha ha ha just joking of course. I actually enjoy your posts, and normally can even identify some sort of logic with most things you may disagree with me on, but not on this one. Accept's heaviest release was probably "Metal Heart." It didn't have the raw energy of "Restless and Wild" as the band had matured, but the power and intensity was overwhelming on that release and Wolf Hoffmann put on a guitar clinic that is still amazing to this day. Look back and see if you still have that thing floating around on cassette or something and toss on "Too High to get it Right." That song makes me want to break shit. I have to be careful when drinking large amounts of alchohol and listening to it. :headbang:

Bryant

You're welcome here in AZ Bryant! The beer would be flowing and the tunes would be jamming...jury is still deliberating on you kicking my ass tho! :p

I don't have Metal Heart, that's why I only vaguely remember it. I have old cassette versions of R&W and Balls to the Wall, but Metal Heart is nowhere to be found. I got rid of it somewhere along the line. Like I said, my taste for them was tainted by Balls. MH probably never got a fair shake.

Bring a copy of it when you fly in. We'll play that one right off the bat.:kickass:

You're welcome here in AZ Bryant! The beer would be flowing and the tunes would be jamming...jury is still deliberating on you kicking my ass tho! :p

I don't have Metal Heart, that's why I only vaguely remember it. I have old cassette versions of R&W and Balls to the Wall, but Metal Heart is nowhere to be found. I got rid of it somewhere along the line. Like I said, my taste for them was tainted by Balls. MH probably never got a fair shake.

Bring a copy of it when you fly in. We'll play that one right off the bat.:kickass:

Ha ha ha if I won the lottery tonight, i would have beer, Metal Heart, plane ticket to Az and baseball bat in hand. :lol:

Unfortunately, I only have two out of the four, but I can go get a piece of pipe to make do with the third and shake it at my monitor. You are more than welcome to send me the tix. I always wanted to see Arizona. :headbang: How dare thee challenge thou Great Pumpk... err... Great Bryant !! You, my friend, are such a dickweed!”
“Takes one to know one!” right ? Would that be so Mr. Seek ?

Bryant

I don´t really think they are overlooked. They are a great band, no doubt, I love ´em. Restless, (especially) Metal Heart and BttW belong to my favorite albums of all times. I actually think they get a lot of credit on this board. I pay attention to that, as there are not too many German bands with that kind of reputation all over the HM/HR world. Next to Accept it is probably only Scorpions and now Rammstein I think. Anyway, Accept rocks, great live shows as well (also UDO). I heard somewhere on this board that some peolpe have problems with Udo`s strange accent.

Well I have to say that when I first heard Accept I didn´t like udo´s voice at all.
But After Two more listening I get use to it.
And I don´t know is theyr 90´s material is so great.
But Metal heart, Balls to the wall and R and W is killer album.

:kickass: :Smokin: :kickass: :Smokin: :kickass: :Smokin: :kickass: :Smokin: :kickass:

My first experience with Accept was being in a Woolworths drug store and seeing their "Breaker" LP with the hot chick on the cover. Total blind buy. Been a fan ever since, but didn't care for the post Udo years. I saw the Balls to the Wall tour, and have a shitload of pics from the show as well.
Can't beat the Fischer/Hoffman guitar combo, those guys ROCKED!

See Bryant, we can agree on SOMETHING! :p
(even though I still don't care for Christ 0 ) :)

J-Dubya

Bryant said:
You, my friend, are such a dickweed!”
“Takes one to know one!” right ? Would that be so Mr. Seek ?
Indeed, it does take a dickweed to know one...after all, they're both out standing in the field, swaying in the breeze, and arguing about whether Accept deserves to be called "overlooked" or whether Andy Kuntz should retire his vocals and hire a real singer. Weeds of a feather grow together! :loco:

I guess you'll have to live with shaking your pipe at me from a distance since neither of us can afford plane tickets right now. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for a used copy of Metal Heart (or a download). I only vaguely remember that album and I don't remember it being their heaviest. Methinks I need to re-visit that one and make sure I didn't overlook something important. In the meantime I've still got Restless and Wild! :kickass:

NP: Queensryche - OM2

Bryant said:
The question is why Accept isn't regarded as highly as Priest, Maiden or Dio and that is a mystery to me. If I had to guess I would say that it is because Udo is a bit more of a challenging listen. His vocals are strange.
Bryant

That's precisely the "problem." Accept and King Diamond/Mercyful Fate never really quite caught on (at least in the States) because of the vocal styles of Udo and King.

I wonder what the two of them harmonizing together would sound like? :heh:

Udo and King harmonizing? I think that's a contradiction of terms. If it did happen the metal world would probably implode.

I agree that the vocals are the issue with Accept and King/Fate. I never was crazy about either singer and it hurt their popularity on my playlists thru the years.

NP: Wuthering Heights - Far From The Madding Crowd

Udo and King harmonizing? I think that's a contradiction of terms. If it did happen the metal world would probably implode.

I agree that the vocals are the issue with Accept and King/Fate. I never was crazy about either singer and it hurt their popularity on my playlists thru the years.

One thing about Udo (especially mid/late 80's era which was his prime) to remember is that his vocal style isn't him just screaming out words. On the early stuff like I'm a Rebel he sounds sort of Brian Johsonish, ala he sort of just screams in key, but he worked hard to develop tremendous power and exceptional range in his voice along with that unusual delivery. That is certainly not going to make anyone like him better, but there waas even an adjustment period for me. I learned to "accept" (nyuk nyuk) Udo's style then learned to appreciate. In fact, he is one of my all-time favorite vocalists. Metal Heart is Udo's best work as a vocalist to me. There are part on "too High to get it Right" that if I tried to sing like that, my neck would fall off or my lungs would fly out of my mouth. Neither scenario would particularly be something I would likely enjoy. "Up to the Limit" and "Wrong is Right" also feature Udo atm 110%.

Bryant

J-Dubya 777 said:
Can't beat the Fischer/Hoffman guitar combo, those guys ROCKED!

See Bryant, we can agree on SOMETHING! :p
(even though I still don't care for Christ 0 ) :)

J-Dubya

Shhh...... don't tell anyone. Our reputations could be in jeopardy.

Bryant

Bryant said:
One thing about Udo (especially mid/late 80's era which was his prime) to remember is that his vocal style isn't him just screaming out words. On the early stuff like I'm a Rebel he sounds sort of Brian Johsonish, ala he sort of just screams in key, but he worked hard to develop tremendous power and exceptional range in his voice along with that unusual delivery. That is certainly not going to make anyone like him better, but there waas even an adjustment period for me. I learned to "accept" (nyuk nyuk) Udo's style then learned to appreciate. In fact, he is one of my all-time favorite vocalists. Metal Heart is Udo's best work as a vocalist to me. There are part on "too High to get it Right" that if I tried to sing like that, my neck would fall off or my lungs would fly out of my mouth. Neither scenario would particularly be something I would likely enjoy. "Up to the Limit" and "Wrong is Right" also feature Udo atm 110%.

Bryant

He also can also sing great ballads like Cold winter night.:kickass:

I was listening to Metal Heart today as I was painting my house. I could never, ever get sick of this album! After all these years it still hits the spot like you just wouldnt believe.

Once upon a time, in my formative years, I had every AC/DC album and all of a sudden I decided they were damn lame. I think Accept had a part to play in this decision because lets face it they are AC/DC but more metal and more technical and just more fun(to me) another bonus is the fan base isnt made up of a majority of rednecks, heh.

Btw I wasn't saying AC/DC suck, infact I still enjoy hearing their tunes, rather i was just reflecting on days gone by.:kickass: