Underrated/Overlooked Albums

zeppelin

pǝƃuɐq ǝq ɹo ƃuɐq
Jun 8, 2004
Johannesburg - South Africa
So we all pretty much agree that great bands and metal are not the way it used to be in a sence that Megadeth will never release an album like Rust in Peace, Metallica will never see another Justice-like album and AC/DC is a far cry from Back in Black.
The way I see it, is that the later albums are still created by the same people and thus I give them a decent chance to grow on me. I also try to view them in context to the time they were released and what other good music was released at that stage.
In this respect I've found a lot of gems that very seldom gets mentioned, great music that are not given the accolades it deserves. I dont know if this is because they are overlooked or because they haven't been given a fair chance.
Here are a few such albums imo:

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death(2003): 1st of all, it's a Bruce album so it has that genuine Maiden feel to it and though it's been said that the Harris formula is outdated, I say it's keeping them on track. Iron Maiden is one of those bands you can go out and buy without listening to first, they'll always be Maiden. The only thing wrong with this album imo, is the fact that it's been released too soon after Rock in Rio(2002) and at first it sounded similar to BNW. After a few spins I relised that it's actually totaly different, it has a good flow and serious hooks and for me it's a better album than BNW.

Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid(1991) & The Last Temptation(1994): Say Alice Cooper to the average person and he'll say Poison, I hate that song for this reason plus the fact that radio killed it. Poison is from Trash(1989) which, aside from 2 other songs is one of his worst albums to me. Then came Hey Stoopid, a totally solid album with not one shitty song on it (except for Feed my Frankenstein) and it goes by unmentioned. Same thing with Last Temtation, it contains some of my favouritte Alice songs and no one seems to know it.

Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer(1992): Released 10 years after the last Dio-Sabbath album(Live Evil) and one of the best Black Sabbath albums imo. Perhaps this one came out too long after the Sabbath craze but I find myself still listening to it a lot and there was no hype about it, ever.

Anyway I thought there might be albums that you Guys(&Gals) feel simmilar about, and if you somehow overlooked any of these I suggest you give them another try. :Spin:

Hey Stoopid rules, so does Raise Your Fist & Yell :headbang:

I'm listening to Shotgun Messiah - S/T at the moment. Very overlooked & underrated album. Just killer... And before that I was playin Erotic Suicide - Perserverance, another one.

zeppelin said:
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death(2003): 1st of all, it's a Bruce album so it has that genuine Maiden feel to it and though it's been said that the Harris formula is outdated, I say it's keeping them on track. Iron Maiden is one of those bands you can go out and buy without listening to first, they'll always be Maiden.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you on this one... :)
DOD is among the worst Maiden releases in my book, it was and still is an unbearably boring album to my ears. I feel it's so washed out and forced...
Not to mention the worst cover Maiden ever had, it just fits well with the music. ;)

My overlooked gems:

RIOT - anything after "Thundersteel"
Everyone's mouth is so full of "Fire Down Under" this and "Thundersteel" that, it seems that the rest of their catalogue is not that worthy of investigating. How wrong! I personally feel that their best years are those with Mike DiMeo behind the mic, along with the 2 Tony Moore albums. I understand FDU and Thundersteel were the breakthru records for their time, but that's just the tip of the iceberg, if you ask me...

KING DIAMOND - "House Of God"
Sure, "Them" and "Abigail" are probably his most respected works, but how about "House Of God"? This release easily ranks among his very best, both by songs and story... Ingenious!

MERCYFUL FATE - "In The Shadows" and "9"
"Melissa" and "Don't Break The Oath" are mentioned very often as they are some of the metal's landmark records, but I feel that "In The Shadows" and "9" have some of the best MF material, yet don't get the recognition I feel they deserve...

zeppelin said:
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death(2003): 1st of all, it's a Bruce album so it has that genuine Maiden feel to it and though it's been said that the Harris formula is outdated, I say it's keeping them on track. Iron Maiden is one of those bands you can go out and buy without listening to first, they'll always be Maiden. The only thing wrong with this album imo, is the fact that it's been released too soon after Rock in Rio(2002) and at first it sounded similar to BNW. After a few spins I relised that it's actually totaly different, it has a good flow and serious hooks and for me it's a better album than BNW.
You really think so? I can't think of this album as underrated. Put it this way: the day it came out, me and three other friends drove from school into the city centre to buy it, and we all went to the independant record shop that was giving away free posters with each purchase. In all the time I've been listening to Metal, I can't think of any album that had that response on the day it came out, let alone all the people buying it afterwards, talking about the album and the subsequent videos. Not even the nu-metal albums for posers.

And, yes, anyone with a pair of working ears should tell it sounds different to Brave New World. Even though BNW toook two months for me to get into, and DoD two days (I shit ye not), the difference is quite clear, yet subtle, I guess. BNW is quite clearly a twin-guitar album (Adrian Smith backed this up later in an interview, making it obvious). I can't say DoD is the defining triple-guitar album, but the difference is there. Could still be worked on, but the difference is there.

Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer(1992): Released 10 years after the last Dio-Sabbath album(Live Evil) and one of the best Black Sabbath albums imo. Perhaps this one came out too long after the Sabbath craze but I find myself still listening to it a lot and there was no hype about it, ever.
This I can't agree on, personally. I find it slow, plodding, leading to nowhere with nothing to hook you in. I find it interesting that you say "too long after the Sabbath craze"...from what I gather here and now, Sabbath had been written off by now almost? I see little evidence that fans were still engaged after Mob Rules...this might be propaganda from NTV and new poser fans ("only Ozzy materz!!1!" even though they can't name a single song after Master Of Reality :rolleyes: ) but I'm curious...

And my own underrated albums? Somewhere In Time by IRON MAIDEN for now! And The X Factor of course, but delicate egos might infiltrate this thread :saint:

Agreed on In the Shadows; awesome album.

Apart from Sad Wings, Judas Priest's 70s material doesn't get nearly enough credit. Their first five are all fucking great, even Rocka Rolla.

W.A.S.P.'s K.F.D. sounds WAY different from most of their other stuff, but it's a very good album.

Ozzy - Bark at the Moon
Iron Maiden - X-Factor
Slayer - Hell Awaits & Divine Intervention
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Prong - Beg to Differ
Pink Floyd - Animals
Judas Priest - Machine

zeppelin said:
Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid(1991) & The Last Temptation(1994): Say Alice Cooper to the average person and he'll say Poison, I hate that song for this reason plus the fact that radio killed it. Poison is from Trash(1989) which, aside from 2 other songs is one of his worst albums to me. Then came Hey Stoopid, a totally solid album with not one shitty song on it (except for Feed my Frankenstein) and it goes by unmentioned. Same thing with Last Temtation, it contains some of my favouritte Alice songs and no one seems to know it.

Agree on all counts. "Dehumanizer" is among my favorites BS albums and among the heaviest of the band. "The Last Temptation" is one of the best conceptual albums and one of the greatest achievements of Alice Cooper (I even have the comic that came with it :D ). "Hey Stoopid" probaby has the best "band" Alice ever assembled after the original line-up.

Songs like 'Computer God', 'Time Machine', 'Buried Alive', 'I'. 'Hey Stoopid', 'Burning Our Bed', 'Dangerous Tonight', 'Wind-Up Toy', 'Snakebite', 'Sideshow', 'Lost in America', 'Unholy War' and the :worship: 'Cleansed By Fire' are songs well deserved to be heard once and again...and again ;)

Now onto my list:

Alice Cooper Muscle Of Love
Angra Fireworks
Anthrax State Of Euphoria
Armored Saint Symbol Of Salvation
Black Sabbath Technical Ectasy
Black Sabbath Cross Purposes
Deep Purple The House Of Blue Light
Dickinson, Bruce Skunkworks
Dream Theater Falling Into Infinity
Heavens Gate Menergy
Iron Maiden Somewhere In Time
Judas Priest Turbo
Kreator Endorama
Megadeth So Far, So Good, So What?
Meliah Rage all albums
Metal Church Hanging In the Balance
Motorhead Rock'N'Roll
Nazareth Cinema
Rainbow Stranger In Us All
Riot The Brethren Of The Long House
Rush Counterparts
Saxon Dogs of War
Scorpions Fly To The Rainbow
Shadow Gallery Carved In Stone
Skyclad Oui Avant-Garde A Chance
Solitude Aeturnus Downfall
Steel Prophet Into The Void (Hallucinogen Conception)
Thin Lizzy Renegade

I have been in a Hard Rock mood lately so here's some that came to mind:
Motley Crue-MC'94
Union-Union
The Scream-Let it Scream
Racer X-Second Heat
KISS-Carnival of Souls
KISS-Revenge
Metal, I'll echo the thoughts of another fellow old schooler...
King Diamond-House of God(a fantastic record!)
Mercyful Fate-In the Shadows
I'll also add-
Black Sabbath-Tyr
Black Sabbath-Cross Purposes
Black Sabbath-Headless Cross

Virgin Steele - Guardians of the Flame;
Everyone typically ignores everything prior to Heaven & Hell, but Guardians has some great tunes.

Black Sabbath - entire Tony Martin era (except Forbidden)

And about the "In the Shadows" comments... I personally don't think it holds up well at all against classic Fate, like Beginnings & Melissa...

Wyvern said:
Anthrax State Of Euphoria
Black Sabbath Cross Purposes
Dickinson, Bruce Skunkworks
Dream Theater Falling Into Infinity
Iron Maiden Somewhere In Time[/font]
Megadeth So Far, So Good, So What?
Riot The Brethren Of The Long House

I really agree on these.
Especially Bruce, I guess the style on this album is the reason it doesn't get the credits...

Anthrax-Sound Of White Noise
Anthrax-State Of Euphoria
Helloween-Pink Bubbles Go Ape
Armored Saint-Raising Fear
Dio-Strange Highways
Savatage-Sirens
Overkill-Taking Over
Black Sabbath-Anything after the Dio era
Judas Priest-Jugulator
Judas Priest-Ram It Down
Deep Purple-The House Of Blue Light
Megadeth-Youthanasia
Pantera-Power Metal
Rush-Presto

I think 80s Kiss is underrated. Many of my fave Kiss songs are from their glory years of the 70's but man did those releases have some stinkers on them. Animalize .... Crazy Nights etc. were much better written.
I also liked the Tracy G. era Dio.
Martin era Sabbath
All the Howe era Metal Church
Dream Theater's Images in Words pretty much set the standard in my ears for Prog metal.
Of course I have to add Tad Morose and Vanden Plas. Two of the best bands out there today in music who are pretty unknown.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Martin era Sabbath
All the Howe era Metal Church
Bryant
Agree on both counts with a big yeah! :headbang: Martin actually spent more time in Black Sabbath as vocalist than Dio did (check for yourselves).

And as for Howe is my preferred and best (and I'll not twist my arm on this) Metal Church era. He's a really charismatic, powerful singer and to me is a big loss that he never pursued his career with another band.

SickBoy said:
I really agree on these.
Especially Bruce, I guess the style on this album is the reason it doesn't get the credits...
You know what puzzles me the most? Bruce himself dislikes the album (he never got any songs from it in the live one he made) as far as I understood it, but supposedly he's going to record another solo venture with the same guitar player as "Skunkworks" And IMO (acknowledging the fact that is not a masterwork like its succesors), is a damn good album with really good tunes like 'Back From The Edge', 'Solar Confinement', 'Inertia' to name some.

Wyvern said:
You know what puzzles me the most? Bruce himself dislikes the album (he never got any songs from it in the live one he made) as far as I understood it, but supposedly he's going to record another solo venture with the same guitar player as "Skunkworks"

:err: I don't understand why not make a great HM record like the last two were... Or are Maiden scared that Bruce could make their latest effort laughable with his new release? ;)
I'd really like a HM hat-trick by Bruce...

And IMO (acknowledging the fact that is not a masterwork like its succesors), is a damn good album with really good tunes like 'Back From The Edge', 'Solar Confinement', 'Inertia' to name some.

Back From The Edge and Inside The Machine are my personal favs from that album, great melodic songs. The style is very interesting, could be generally described as "alternative", but that doesn't do it justice...

Sabbath - Technical X. Very underrated record.

Sabbath - TYR. Among their BEST releases.

AC/DC - Flick of the Switch. Totally kicks ass. Their heaviest!

Dio - Angry Machines. Yet another Dio classic, that for some reason, everyone hates.

Queensryche - Hear in the Now... Again, a GREAT record. Tons of feeling and emotion throughout!

Ozzy - Ultimate Sin. Every song on this record is GREAT!

Slayer - Diabolus. Heavy as hell, and with a great groove!