Underrated/Overlooked Albums

D.Ingram

Mar 17, 2008
Sheffield, United Kingdom.
Just to incite some discussion - there's always the occasional band who will release nothing but class material (bar one or two turds every so often), yet there'll be those two or three albums from a total of 10 that people define them by. So I ask you, what would you consider to be a completely unappreciated gem?

The one that immediately springs to mind for me is Sodom's Better Off Dead. German perfection that's constantly overshadowed by Agent Orange and M16.

Motorhead's Overnight Sensation comes to mind. They never play anything off it but to me it's their best album... Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin is another one in the same boat. Everyone talks about the Randy Rhoads albums and the Zak Wylde albums but I like Jake Lee's playing better than either, and Ultimate Sin is much better than Bark at the Moon.

Thin Lizzy's ""Johnny the Fox" is the first that comes to my mind. The only Thin Lizzy album I have, but I think it's amazing. All anyone ever talks about is Jailbreak.

OMFG!! there are way too many,

definitly Motorhead's Rock'n Roll and Another Perfect Day. Everyone speaks of Ace Of Spades and Overkill etc. but no one cares about those albums. Even my local record stores don't have this albums..

some further:
Slayer - Divine Intervention
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
Xentrix - Shattered Existence
Dark Angel - Leave Scars

You're kinda talking crap with some of those new ones. Xentrix only did what, four albums? And Shattered Existence is generally considered their best one next to For Whose Advantage?, not to mention the fact that everyone jumps on Xentrix for being one of the more well known British thrash bands. Dark Angel's second album is hardly underrated as a lot of people rate it as their favourite (I'd personally disagree, but still) and it's brought up in discussion often :lol:

I'll agree with Motörhead though, I always thought that Kiss of Death was one of their best albums. It's understandable that their first six records would be regarded as their best though, since they were the rawest ones - also, the original lineup was ace. Another album that ALWAYS deserves more credit is, believe it or not, Annihilator's Carnival Diablos. rarely given even a passing mention in comparison to a lot of their earliest/latest works.

Dio's "Strange Highways" and "Killing the Dragon" come to mind as well. Just not "Lock Up the Wolves". Hate that album.

Sepultura's Schizophrenia

My favorite from Sepultura but all I ever hear anyone else talk about is Beneath the Remains, Arise and Chaos A.D.

Slayer's Show No Mercy.

Again nearly every fan goes on and on about Reign in Blood and Hell Awaits, but I rarely hear any one give Show No Mercy the respect it deserves. I love Araya's vocals on this album.

Load from Metallica.

Yes okay I am being very bias as they are pretty much one of my all time favorite bands... But I personally like it

I'd be inclined to agree with Nothing to Gain if Vio-lence had released a few more albums. When you start discussing bands that only did a very small number of releases, you're kind of making the thread too easy to exploit.

I don't get it.

"When Day and Dream Unite" by Dream Theater gets a vote from me. Most people usually stick to LaBrie's stuff, but Charlie Dominici was a great vocalist too.