Underrated/Overlooked Albums

Wyvern said:
God knows I tried TFC over and over to and finally I sold it. I kept "The Wall" on the basis of good memories and some good songs, but was already poppier IMO than "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" or "The Division Bell" are.

For me Pink Floyd as a real band goes from "Atom Heart Mother" to "Animals"

@ Seth'Peth: that has been also my experience with many other bands. Which is good since many are discouraged by a first hearing and never check back or further.

"Animals" is still my all time favorite Floyd. I'm a pretty big fan of everything they've done.

How is LTE? Been wanting to pick up their stuff for some time, but there's so much I want...and not nearly a big enough music budget... :erk:

Seth

Seth'Peth said:
"Animals" is still my all time favorite Floyd. I'm a pretty big fan of everything they've done.

How is LTE? Been wanting to pick up their stuff for some time, but there's so much I want...and not nearly a big enough music budget... :erk:

Seth
Liquid Tension Experiment is maybe the most worthy of all Dream Theater side-projects, and judging by the last album of DT far better with both hands tied-up.

LTE is very progressive, very technical (maybe not as much as Spastic Ink, but still impressive musicianship), and you have fast leaning to power songs, short melodic classic prog stuff and even a 29 min song in the debut (for the die-hard). And if you consider is:

a) all instrumental
b) you have three different prog backgrounds (at the time of the recording)
c) all are skillful people

well, I'll say that if you are a definitive prog fan (and I mean prog since the classics to very modern stuff) you most probably will like LTE.

Now since is not a matter of do or die, and their albums are available I'll say wait til your money allows you to get into them. Do not run for it, the material is not rare enough to be a buy or die situation.

P.S But if you have $33 bucks to spare both albums are available (S&H included) at http://www.guitar9.com/pricelistl.html

Wyvern said:
Liquid Tension Experiment is maybe the most worthy of all Dream Theater side-projects, and judging by the last album of DT far better with both hands tied-up.

LTE is very progressive, very technical (maybe not as much as Spastic Ink, but still impressive musicianship), and you have fast leaning to power songs, short melodic classic prog stuff and even a 29 min song in the debut (for the die-hard). And if you consider is:

a) all instrumental
b) you have three different prog backgrounds (at the time of the recording)
c) all are skillful people

well, I'll say that if you are a definitive prog fan (and I mean prog since the classics to very modern stuff) you most probably will like LTE.

Now since is not a matter of do or die, and their albums are available I'll say wait til your money allows you to get into them. Do not run for it, the material is not rare enough to be a buy or die situation.

P.S But if you have $33 bucks to spare both albums are available (S&H included) at http://www.guitar9.com/pricelistl.html

I actually like "Train of Thought" a lot. I may be in the minority on that...but it was cool to hear them jam a little heavier IMO. The skill comment is right on...it's pretty much DT with no Labrie, right? Those are some true virtuosos. I still need to pick up "Ink Complete", but I've scanned their web-site quite a bit and listened to all the samples. Very good prog. Don't have the spare cash now, not with Christmas...but early next year I may ask you again...Thanks.

Seth

Seth'Peth said:
pretty much DT with no Labrie, right? Those are some true virtuosos.
Seth
I maybe gave a false impression, is far better than DT without vocals. Petrucci plays much loose and technical, Portnoy is drumming (not playing band boss) with precission, Rudess shows why he was good enough to replace Derek Sherinian and as for Tony Levin...well is Tony Levin! The guy is prog on legs, he alone worth the albums IMO.

SickBoy said:
Yeah, I never could get into Final Cut...
TDB on the other hand, just slid into my ears!

It was exactly the other way around for me. Two Suns In The Sunset iw one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs. Except for a couple of tracks, I could never get into post-Waters Floyd. Gilmour is a hell of a guitar player, but Waters was the soul of the band IMO :)

W.A.S.P.'s K.F.D. sounds WAY different from most of their other stuff, but it's a very good album.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, My tortured Eyes is so fucking good. Espcially the depressed and wishful way he says KILL ME , OHH CAUSE THATS WHAT YOU WANT.

Also I think ANTHRAX's Volume 8 is highly very highly overlooked. Crush, Catharisis , Inisde Out, Harms WAy. Great album in my mind anway.

Riot had some awesome albums too but never got any recognition.

Everything Cyclone Temple released, they were fucking awesome, pure emotion.
Both Exhorder releases, great thrash, and heavy as hell.

sixxswine said:
I'll also add-
Black Sabbath-Tyr
Black Sabbath-Cross Purposes
Black Sabbath-Headless Cross
Goddam Sixxswine...

It's nice to see we agree on something...

Very nice choice of BS albums with Tony on vocals. Some people will bitch about them being lame, weird, and/or contrived, but I thoroughly enjoy those albums. Solid Dio-esque material worthy of the Black Sabbath name...unlike some of their other albums...

Rock on!

I've got to add that...yes...a mighty FUCK YES to...

DiMeo era Riot...
Howe era Metal Church...
and all things Overkill...

Rock on!

I forgot to mention Rigor Mortis and all of their albums! One of the best overlooked speed metal bands of all time and Mike Sciacca is one of the fastest guitarist I have ever heard!

One band I just though of is classic Lizzy Borden. I sorta got into them after their "prime" because frankly I thought they looked silly and expected a generic WASP, but they had some cool stuff with Lizzy being a pretty good vocalist.

Bryant

Flotsam and Jetsam - My God - High - Unnatural Selection - Cuatro - When the storm comes Down

Flotsam is sooooooooooooo fucking underated its not even funny ... there '90s albums were great and better than there '80s albums because they had found there own sound!

JonnyD said:
Flotsam and Jetsam - My God - High - Unnatural Selection - Cuatro - When the storm comes Down

Flotsam is sooooooooooooo fucking underated its not even funny ... there '90s albums were great and better than there '80s albums because they had found there own sound!

I love the Elton John cover on "No Place for Disgrace." It is one of my favorite covers ever. "Escape From Within" was also a bad-ass song on that release.

Bryant

Jean-Pierre said:
Everything by Artillery.

Funny how many people I see that mention Fates Warning, but put the "early" before or after. I like everything they've done...one of my favorite bands.

This is more of an unknown rather than underrated...

"A Pleasant Shade of Gray" Fates Warning. One of the greatest prog metal albums ever..IMO.

Seth

JonnyD said:

Finally just got into "Drift"...excellent album. AK still has/had a killer voice. I heard they're putting out a new one soon... :)

Seth