Still Life lyrics

TheBigJones47

giant slab of flesh
Nov 19, 2002
B/CS, Texas, U.S.A.
Visit site
I'm not sure what all of the lyrics from this album mean - it's apparent that he goes back to get his woman after being exiled, and I think he kills some of the villagers, then they kill Melinda, then they capture and execute him. Some parts are kind of shady, though. If I'm missing anything, or am wrong about something, or if you just have any interesting details, please post them so I can know more about the story.

This has been discussed much on these forums. :D

- The villagers kill Melinda before the narrator retaliates.

Here are some more theories:

- He was exiled for 15 years, maybe because he had some sort of physical disorder, or maybe because he wasn't religious enough. :confused:

- While he was away, Melinda either married someone else (by an arranged marriage??), or became a nun.

I was going to post some thoughts, but decided to dig up an old issue of "LOTFP" which has an interview with Mike, and he gives the answer:

Mikael:I wanted to have simple theme. I chose good versus evil. But to make it more interesting, what people normally look upon as good, I wanted that to be the bad part, and vice-versa. The main character has no name. I don't know why, I just didn't name him. He's a born and raised Christian. After a couple of years he questions his faith because he hasn't seen any real signs that it actually exists. This is not present day, this is way back in time, by the way. But this makes him a heretic to the rest of the community. It results in him being banished from town for questioning the supreme religion. The album starts when he's coming back after several years. The reason he's coming back is not revenge or anything, but for Melinda, his old beloved girlfriend. He's coming back to take her with him. That's the storyline, but of course many bad things start to happen.

Damn, I'd love to hear the entire story of Still Life. Not being poetically inclined I could never figure it out myself(except that there's someone named Melinda who's important to the narrator).