The ending to Still Life?

Kronikle66

Everybody dies alone
Oct 10, 2003
Tallahassee, Florida
Visit site
For the first time in the year I've had the album Still Life, I sat down and started listening to the music with the lyrics. I had no clue it was a concept album for the longest time, but when I heard praise of it from other message boards, I decided to listen to it with the lyrics for story purposes.

What I get so far: A man, exiled from his hometown returns to find his love Melinda. The villagers don't like this. He finds her, only to realize she's in love with another man. Then I THINK that the villagers kill Melinda (am I wrong?) and the man goes into a murderous spree. Little unsure on what happens next. Does he get weak after awhile and the villagers finally capture him so he can hang? Then as he dies does he see Melinda staring at him?

Little confused and would appreciate any help :)

Almost.

He returns for Melinda, you got it right up to that point. Melinda, however, is actually married, but still in love with the main character. She visits him in the night (Face of Melinda), and they make love. In the morning they are caught, for some reason she is tried and hung before they arrest him (they arrest him immediately after her death, which is the lyrics that sound like a muderous spree, but there is no muder spree). In the last song, he accepts his punishment and feels forgived. (He is still hung, though)

All you need to know is there somewhere along the story, Jack Frober fucked both Melinda and the protagonist. That's why he hung himself. His anus was blasted by Frober. :(

i always thought it was after they had met up that the town assholes had found them and slit her throat right in front of the main character - thus inducing his level 3 berserker barrage

Uhm..

the guy returns to his hometown (or village) after 15 years to get back to melinda.

The Moor is the prologue. Godhead is about him seeing her first. Benighted is probably an ode to her. Moonlapse is an observation of the town. Face of Melinda is about them meeting. SPD is aobut Melinda getting her throat slit (what the hell could 'red line around her neck' indicate?) . Then he goes on a killing spree indeed. Eventually they find and hang him. Only then does he realize that he can be with melinda again (or so I would assume, would make a good twist since the album deals a lot with religion).

I think the concept lyrics are much more interesting than Tool's. Whenever I read Tool's lyrics, I think of how Dan Gildenlöw made them better (especially the great song Opiate's).