Still Life= overrated

in limbow

wobmil ni
Sep 9, 2005
United States
*gulp*

OK, I know I'm going to get flamed x 1000 for this but recently I've been thinking and Still Life maybe really isn't one of Opeth's best albums. (I know Liquid Diamonds at least will agree with me on this). If you do a track-by-track comparison of Still Life vs MAYH, it's easy to see which one is just altogether a stronger album.
By the way, I still do love Still Life in general, and it did used to hold a place as my favorite Opeth album. I've just been doubting that recently.
Prologue/April Ethereal vs The Moor: The Moor is an amazing song but AE has that extra something that just makes it a little bit better. Plus, Prologue is a better way to start than the beginning of The Moor (a little too long)
When vs Godhead's Lament: This is an easy one. When is surely one of Opeth's best songs, and one of their signature tunes in that it does a good job of summarizing the Opeth "sound". The acoustic parts are beautiful, the heavy parts are great, the vocals are epic, its an amazing song. Now, GL has probably one of Opeth's best moments (the part starting with the guitar solo and ending after the folksy clean vocal melody), but the verses feel tired and the part between the folk section and the end is nothing special.
Benighted vs Madrigal: Benighted easily wins this one, it is beautiful and Madrigal isn't much of a song.
The Amen Corner vs Moonlapse Vertigo: Moonlapse is terrific and I love that beautiful riff near the beginning, and the acoustic verses. Nice solo, too. This is a close one, and it's pretty much even, both are very solid Opeth songs.
Face of Melinda vs Demon of the Fall: Both are classic songs and I would rank Face of Melinda easily in my top 10 or 20 Opeth songs. However, DOTF is definitely overall better, maybe my favorite Opeth song, ever.
Serenity Painted Death vs Credence: Even though I feel it's one of Opeth's weakest "epic" songs, I would take SPD over Credence just because the latter doesn't stand out quite as much.
White Cluster vs Karma/Epilogue: White Cluster is a very nice ending to Still Life, though I think Karma is even more beautiful, with those "aaahh" vocals and some great death metal vox at the end. Plus Epilogue knocks that brief guitar interlude at the end of White Cluster out of the park.

I know it's all opinion, but I was just wondering if there's anyone else who thinks Still Life isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. Even so, it is probably a 10/10 album, just not Opeth's very best as many say.

It's not overrated, it gets the praise it deserves. It's just that the Still Lifers underrate every other opeth record just to prove their point. which is shit!!

Well its simple. The Moor > April, and Godhead's Lament and Moonlapse vertigo are some of the best Opeth songs ever made. When is also up there, but that's just 1 song, hmm?

EDIT: How could you call Amen Corner equivalent with Moonlapse?

Anyways, look, When and DotF are amazing tracks, no doubt. Credence/Madrigal/The Amen Corner/April are IMO some of Opeth's weakest tracks (none the less very good). But The Moor/Moonlapse/SPD/Godheads Lament (easily one of Opeth's bests songs, IMO) destroy When and DotF.

It's all subjective but I think that Still Life is overall more interesting and better to listen to.

MAYH is the only Opeth CD that comes close to Still Life. I think I might put MAYH above still life a few days a week, but Still Life is definately one of their best.

i reckon its underrated, even with everyone loving it! first time i had a really good listen to it was a couple of days ago, and its been playing ever since. its a masterpiece. the only other album i have listened to like this one is dream theater's metropolis pt2, which was played every day for around a year. i love absolutely every song on still life, especially the moor, serenity painted death and white cluster.

in limbow said:
*gulp*

OK, I know I'm going to get flamed x 1000 for this but recently I've been thinking and Still Life maybe really isn't one of Opeth's best albums. (I know Liquid Diamonds at least will agree with me on this). If you do a track-by-track comparison of Still Life vs MAYH, it's easy to see which one is just altogether a stronger album.
By the way, I still do love Still Life in general, and it did used to hold a place as my favorite Opeth album. I've just been doubting that recently.
Prologue/April Ethereal vs The Moor: The Moor is an amazing song but AE has that extra something that just makes it a little bit better. Plus, Prologue is a better way to start than the beginning of The Moor (a little too long)
When vs Godhead's Lament: This is an easy one. When is surely one of Opeth's best songs, and one of their signature tunes in that it does a good job of summarizing the Opeth "sound". The acoustic parts are beautiful, the heavy parts are great, the vocals are epic, its an amazing song. Now, GL has probably one of Opeth's best moments (the part starting with the guitar solo and ending after the folksy clean vocal melody), but the verses feel tired and the part between the folk section and the end is nothing special.
Benighted vs Madrigal: Benighted easily wins this one, it is beautiful and Madrigal isn't much of a song.
The Amen Corner vs Moonlapse Vertigo: Moonlapse is terrific and I love that beautiful riff near the beginning, and the acoustic verses. Nice solo, too. This is a close one, and it's pretty much even, both are very solid Opeth songs.
Face of Melinda vs Demon of the Fall: Both are classic songs and I would rank Face of Melinda easily in my top 10 or 20 Opeth songs. However, DOTF is definitely overall better, maybe my favorite Opeth song, ever.
Serenity Painted Death vs Credence: Even though I feel it's one of Opeth's weakest "epic" songs, I would take SPD over Credence just because the latter doesn't stand out quite as much.
White Cluster vs Karma/Epilogue: White Cluster is a very nice ending to Still Life, though I think Karma is even more beautiful, with those "aaahh" vocals and some great death metal vox at the end. Plus Epilogue knocks that brief guitar interlude at the end of White Cluster out of the park.

I know it's all opinion, but I was just wondering if there's anyone else who thinks Still Life isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. Even so, it is probably a 10/10 album, just not Opeth's very best as many say.
I saw this threads title, I did not even read your diatribe yet..............................................................................................................but all I can say is I probably agree with you. SL is good, but far from opeths masterpiece. I cant for the life of me figure out why most posters on this board praise it to high water.

rowanr said:
i love absolutely every song on still life, especially the moor, serenity painted death and white cluster.
They are all good songs, but far from being opeth's best. WHEN, ADVENT, TO BID YOU FAREWELL, BLEAK, WINDOWPANE. Now they are great songs. The still life songs are all average opeth. Nothing bad, but nothing great. :)

dew said:
MAYH is the only Opeth CD that comes close to Still Life. I think I might put MAYH above still life a few days a week, but Still Life is definately one of their best.
Why do people compare My arms with SL. To me SL and BWP are more alike. MAYH is more unique in sound, as no other opeth albums sound like it. Peace.

I get sick of these threads and the fan boy threads......too much text for me to care to read all of it for one.......and WTF whoever said Amen Corner is a weak track is full of shit, best track from that ablum next to WHEN

and I've been beginning to think that Still Life is their best album, cause that's when they brought in the ebo shit.....not the only reason why it's one of, if not their best album, but I'm beginning to go on a fan boy rant so.......

and somone please respond to what I have to say next......yes MAYH and SL, both concept albums, but I think SL flows great in concept with MAYH.........MAYH ends with...."and always welcoming winters EPILOGUE"

then SL, starts with "Sigh of summer apon my return, 15 alike since I was here"

anyone else sees the correlation?

I find these two albums hard to compare. To me they both sound very different in overall tone and feeling (MAYH is far darker). I sort of consider MAYH a transition between the early opeth sound and where we are now... like a "warm-up" for still life :p

That being said though, it is a great album in its own right, and unique in opeths catalogue.