Still Life sound question

Space_Lord

Master of Horror
Apr 26, 2003
One fat foot on the Devil's wing
Hi, sort of new here (UM didn't let me register before). Anyway, I wanted to know of any of you guys have the same problem with your Still Life CD's: during The Moor and Godhead's Lament, the sound sort of sketches out a bit and changes between stereo and near mono. Is this the production or do I have a defective disc?

Cheers in advance.

You don't have a defective disc. (Chaveta & KOTNONarrot - The flaws are more noticeable using headphones). Also, this is not the only Opeth CD that has mastering problems.

/Peter

Yeah, I was going to say that I really notice it with my headphones up and it really drives me crazy. I could understand if it was a bootleg but it's a bit disappointing. Oh well.

np: Motorhead - God Save The Queen

My problem with Still Life is that the solos in some spots, especially White Cluster, are so buried in the mix. I understand that its the bands intention to keep the rhythm guitars going strong during those solos (unlike say, Slayer, who often grind to a halt the rhythm guitars so the solos can go on unabated).

But there must be some studio trickery that allows for solos to be more forward in the mix while continuing the band's use of a dense wall-of-sound.

Michael said there was an error in the mixing and there was nothing they could do about it, it bugs the crap out of him also. Serenity is supposed to end like that on purpose.

People who don't have a clue what the original post is about_:
chaveta
[KOTNO]Narrot
scorpian007
ChrisEmerson
x_OPETH_x

A hint to the above mentioned:
Listen to Still Life with your headphones.

I've noticed that on Black Rose Immortal during the part right after the first guitar solo the sound dies down, pherhaps going from streo to mono, anyone else noticed this one...

I got the same problem as the thread starter... Pretty annoying as I always listen with headphones and hear the flaws clearly.

I reckon they should remaster all their CDs before Blackwater Park for any future reissues. I have a serious problem with the crappy sound in Godheads Lament, I mostly listen to it on headphones, and it ruins the whole atmosphere of the song.