Still Life

Mr Samsara

Misanthropic Moderator
Jul 9, 2004
Carrying a Burden Inside
Ok dudes...

I have had still life for some time in a cardboard Digi-pak <--spelling? anyway, I have one in a jewel case waiting for me at the record store. Is it different? Which one should I keep as my collection piece?

Thanks..

Out.:devil:

considering every edition of opeth cds (except perhaps the 2 disc bwp, and original candlelight pressings of the first 3) were made in droves of tens of thousands....

to "collect" any current or normal pressings seems rather frivolous and redundant. Unless theres some sort of bonus tracks or remastering of albums, i dont see the point in owning 2 of the same album simply because one is a jewel case vs. a digipack.

Mr Samsara said:
Ok dudes...

I have had still life for some time in a cardboard Digi-pak <--spelling? anyway, I have one in a jewel case waiting for me at the record store. Is it different? Which one should I keep as my collection piece?

Thanks..

Out.:devil:
Jewel case. Difficult to find, also the cd itself should be a dark grey color. hold on to it!

considering every edition of opeth cds (except perhaps the 2 disc bwp, and original candlelight pressings of the first 3) were made in droves of tens of thousands....

to "collect" any current or normal pressings seems rather frivolous and redundant. Unless theres some sort of bonus tracks or remastering of albums, i dont see the point in owning 2 of the same album simply because one is a jewel case vs. a digipack.

That's the whole point of having a collection. :)

i bought the still life cardboard digi pack at a borders and the case was all bent and shit, and the part where the cd was held was only half glued on there...fucking bitches. But now its doing swell

I had nothing to do this evening so i sat into my living room with lots of beer and still life. do you remember the last verse of White Cluster "And the last sight I did see is still here; Beckoning right behind me"? of course you do.. so i was thinking about that. some of you mentioned that this thing beckoning right behind him might be Melinda. but i dont think so, because melinda is dead. so she could only appear in his view in shape of an illusion. it is also not possible that he is able to see what is behind him. its is important to mention, that the thing he saw is still there, this may show something being stronger than death. it is not possible to see something when youre dead, its not possible to see something "normal" after death..
so i thought this thing may be god. im not a christ you know, so please dont think im trying to press any religious message out of this.
but lets think about that.
we know that the main-character of still life is not a religious person. we also know that he is hated by the christs, and that he is unable to identify with christianity, and that he pushes their dogmas below.. this is the core of all his problems. if he was a person believing into the same things as all the others did, he would have been able to marry melinda, and there would be no struggle no pain and no disaster after all.
As the main character is soon to be killed by the noose, by the christians, there could be a final insight.
i think it may be possible that he sees that he was able to prevent his self and melinda from this disaster, just by believing into god. he has this insight, just while being confrontated with god. he may realize that he was untrue by pushing the believes of the christs away, and that he was sinning. he is dying, and then god is "appearing", beckoning right behind him. now he is able to see clear, that all of this was just because he didnt trust into god. maybe the main character is not aware of this in the moment as he dies, but this all may give a hint to the thoughts i might see in this. maybe the end of the album gives a hint to another ending than we all expecet, and ending in which the main character realizeses the truth of the christian believe by being confrontated with god?
But the word "beckon" made me thoughtful again.. is it hazard that the word "beckon" is used in "Face Of Melinda", too? "By the turnstile beckons a damsel fair; The face of Melinda neath blackened hair" I think this may be a hint that its Melinda in the end of "White Cluster".. Maybe she is appearing and they both amalgamate and in eternal unity? i dont think the word "beckon" is used just for fun in two different songs at two different and very important places..
So this is all just speculation, but i like having my thoughts about all of this..

i´d like to hear your ideas!

this may be true. Its interesting.

If someone told me that was the meaning, i would think.. that the album would be trying to push a religious message across. But this wouldnt be the case with Opeth. Then again, you dont have to believe in something to write about it...

Trey Parker said:
i think akerfeldt just picks random words out of a thesaurus
LOL, that's absolutely what I was thinking while listening to Opeth albums for the first time.
He just picked the words to match the music, not to have a particular sense.

He uses the Beck Rhyming Dictionary...

Furthermore, I didn't know the story was so sad. Thanks for making me upset now. I'm gonna go kill myself. :/ I used to love still life until I knew everyone died! I thought it was just some guy on a mad rage to save his woman, guess I should have read the lyrics eh? White-faced, haggard grip this serenity painted death! Maybe he killed people with cuddle clouds? Oh well.

- oink

ChrisEmerson said:
this may be true. Its interesting.

If someone told me that was the meaning, i would think.. that the album would be trying to push a religious message across. But this wouldnt be the case with Opeth. Then again, you dont have to believe in something to write about it...

I fucking love your sig.

My kill count is up to 47...All of em spide bastards

I FUCKEN HATE CHAVS.