Still Life

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
Although I love BWP, and certain *parts* of Ghost Reveries and a few songs from Damnation/Deliverance, I'm a tad bit nervous about making another blind Opeth purchase. Damnation and Deliverance (and to a certain extent GR as well) were pretty big dissapointments for me coming from BWP and I hope Still Life will be different. The only I've heard from it so far is Benighted which is absolutely amazing (except for the horrid solo and drums at the end which don't fit at all)... is the rest of the album this good? Stylistically what's it like most? BWP? Morningrise?

It's closest to BWP in style. Ultimately, I'd suggest downloading the album to see for yourself, or a song or 2, or listen to samples on web stores like Amazon.com. Whatever keeps you feeling all moral and warm inside but gives you an idea.

Still Life is the favorite album of many an Opeth fan, along with BWP. So, that gives you an idea of how good the album is. It's nothing like Morningrise, but is quite different from BWP as well. The only negative aspect of the album (a fault that I still fail to notice) is the production. Even then, it doesn't take away from the album at all. It is also, arguably, the most "proggy" of Opeth's releases.

I've always seen it as the most unique Opeth album. It doesn't quite sound like anything else. There was a distinctive soundworld captured on that album, I think, which Opeth have not replicated since. Elements of it are similar to Ghost Reveries, although on the whole I think it's more proggy and 'out there' if you will.

Simply put, Get Still Life. Now.

It's the best purchase you could ever accomplish in your entire life, you'll thank me later.

EDIT: and horrible solo? are you fucking kidding me? please, get off these boards after you purchase still life and realize how wrong you were by making a comment like that. The drums go along with the outro, how could it be bad?

Like I said, Still Life is music perfection.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Period.

EDIT2: my Opeth fanboyism is coming again, and why does it seem like all the new people like BWP the best? It's a great cd by no means, but shit if you think it's great I have a really hard time understanding why you wouldn't like Deliverance that much. Some Opeth fans blow my mind.

Although I love BWP, and certain *parts* of Ghost Reveries and a few songs from Damnation/Deliverance, I'm a tad bit nervous about making another blind Opeth purchase. Damnation and Deliverance (and to a certain extent GR as well) were pretty big dissapointments for me coming from BWP and I hope Still Life will be different. The only I've heard from it so far is Benighted which is absolutely amazing (except for the horrid solo and drums at the end which don't fit at all)... is the rest of the album this good? Stylistically what's it like most? BWP? Morningrise?

THE HORRID SOLO? wtf are you on about?

Yeah, you will probably not like their albums if the only album you like is BWP. Unless you are the Orchid/Morningrise kind.

still life is collectively their best album, because theres so much awesomeness in it. there are arguably better songs on other albums, but overall, its the best. godheads lament could be the greatest song ive ever heard... :kickass:

Let's put it his way (not trying to be an asshole by all means)...

If you think GR, D1 and D2 were big deissapointments and that benighted has a horrid solo than just STOP....you have nothing more to look for in Opeth, find another band to listen to. And no, this is not fanboyism, but what you wrote is just plain retarded.

Quit. EOD

Yeah, the guitars sound a bit too trebly, but I personally regard SL better than BWP, as it's more prog orientated. Double bass should be a bit louder.

Opeth is one of the only bands where "blind purchasing" can't really do any harm. there isn't a bad album they have put out. sure, ghost reveries disappointed me a shitload, but ive come to realize its still better than most stuff out there.

anyways, still life is definitly one of opeth's best albums, so get it nowwww.

Not to start a whole bunch of retarded responses, but it's on SL that you begin to hear the "Jazz Influence".... :Smug:

Still Life is, in my opinion, one of the very very best metal releases ever. Perhaps it's my favorite album. It is definitely my favorite Opeth album and has been so since it was released, with My Arms Your Hearse a close second.
Here is my ranking of them albums:

1. Still Life
2. My Arms Your Hearse
3. Morningrise
4. Orchid
5. Ghost Reveries
6. Deliverance
7. Blackwater Park
8. Damnation

The thing that for me separates the first four from the last four is, simply put, that on the first four Opeth albums everything is just fucking good - on the last four there are moments every bit as brilliant, but there is more stuff there that I just don't like. So while I'd rank a track like "Ghost of Perdition" equally with the four first albums, the album it comes from 'Ghost Reveries' doesn't get a higher ranking because it also contains such filler as "Atonement".

As others have said, you can't go wrong with Still Life. IMHO, it is there best album, even though the production value may not be up to the level of subsequent albums. Mikael was at his absolute peak when he wrote SL...shit, just go buy it now. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Still Life is, in my opinion, one of the very very best metal releases ever. Perhaps it's my favorite album. It is definitely my favorite Opeth album and has been so since it was released, with My Arms Your Hearse a close second.
Here is my ranking of them albums:

1. Still Life
2. My Arms Your Hearse
3. Morningrise
4. Orchid
5. Ghost Reveries
6. Deliverance
7. Blackwater Park
8. Damnation

The thing that for me separates the first four from the last four is, simply put, that on the first four Opeth albums everything is just fucking good - on the last four there are moments every bit as brilliant, but there is more stuff there that I just don't like. So while I'd rank a track like "Ghost of Perdition" equally with the four first albums, the album it comes from 'Ghost Reveries' doesn't get a higher ranking because it also contains such filler as "Atonement".

everytime i read those "SL is the best" im asking myself what the hell is wrong with me? (and then, what is wrong with you!?)
Iwould putit something like this:
1)MAYH
2)morningrise
3)BWP
4)D2
5)D1
6)+7)Orchid+SL
8)GR

I just cant get on with orchid and SL. whilst listening to every song by its own i think to myself "wait.. its fucking good!" then i go listen to the whole CD and my mind is just drifting. i cant hold on listening to the whole album.

everytime i read those "SL is the best" im asking myself what the hell is wrong with me? (and then, what is wrong with you!?)
Iwould putit something like this:
1)MAYH
2)morningrise
3)BWP
4)D2
5)D1
6)+7)Orchid+SL
8)GR

I just cant get on with orchid and SL. whilst listening to every song by its own i think to myself "wait.. its fucking good!" then i go listen to the whole CD and my mind is just drifting. i cant hold on listening to the whole album.

you kind of have a point. its kinda weird, because i really do enjoy every opeth song. im usually find myself skipping to a new song every now and then when i listen to opeth (as far as most albums), but in MAYH and SL i usually listen to the whole thing. it just leaves me with more of a "wow that was awesome" kinda feeling. that being said, i still think SL is their best work. theres just so much in it. MAYH just seems simpler than SL, but they are their best two albums IMO.

please excuse me for the random incoherent thoughts, im half asleep....

Still Life has grown on me enormously. BWP always used to be my favorite, but I have to say SL is gunning to surpass it at this point. It definitely has a different feel. Prolly their most technical, too.

As per soundave mentioned: there is a jazz element to Still Life. It's perhaps not the favorite album among lay-listeners but it seems to be a favorite among fellow musicians. Morningrise is a better album but the guitar work is fairly basic. In contrast, the riffs and composition on Still Life are brilliant. I recommend you buy it if you can still find it.