Still Life

Although I love BWP, and certain *parts* of Ghost Reveries and a few songs from Damnation/Deliverance, I'm a tad bit nervous about making another blind Opeth purchase. Damnation and Deliverance (and to a certain extent GR as well) were pretty big dissapointments for me coming from BWP and I hope Still Life will be different.

It's strange, i'm seeing a lot of Deliverance, Damnation copies in used CD stores and as a result the store usually sells them really cheap. It is much harder to find anything pre-BWP. Either noobs are buying the newer albums (noobs will be noobs) and disliking Opeth or the oldies have longer lasting value.

It's strange, i'm seeing a lot of Deliverance, Damnation copies in used CD stores and as a result the store usually sells them really cheap. It is much harder to find anything pre-BWP. Either noobs are buying the newer albums (noobs will be noobs) and disliking Opeth or the oldies have longer lasting value.

it is really hard to get (especially Morningrise IMO) the old ones and they are quite expensive (saw Orchid for 20 euros)

SL and BWP are probably (cant decide for definate) but probably the best albums imo. An album the contains the moor and moonlapse vertigo has to be worth a purchase at least/ The leper affinity/Drapery/BWP/ actually ive made up my mind and they are the best, wait, wait, no maybe morningrise is better than SL but not better than BWP but SL is better than Orchid and morningrise is better than deliverance. Atleast i can be sure that there best mellow album is Damnation, well thats that sorted

It's a masterpiece. Not as easy and accessible as BWP (which is a nice album as well) but much more ambitious in a way. The songwriting is close to perfection, their 4 finest compositions are on that record. Only the last song is a bit generic, but all the rest is high quality.

Still life is perfection. Their best album.

How can you skip tracks on Opeth albums?? You listen to the whole album from start to finish. Yes, that's the right way.

I don't get how the solo in benighted is "horrid", please explain.

I've always seen it as the most unique Opeth album. It doesn't quite sound like anything else. There was a distinctive soundworld captured on that album, I think, which Opeth have not replicated since. Elements of it are similar to Ghost Reveries, although on the whole I think it's more proggy and 'out there' if you will.

I don't see how you can compare GR with SL, SL is way better than GR.

That being said I think SL is one of their best albums and is a must have. If you can't find it in the stores you'll have to buy it online. Both amazon and bn should have it.

Let us know if you get the album and what you think of it.

Simply put, Get Still Life. Now.

It's the best purchase you could ever accomplish in your entire life, you'll thank me later.

EDIT: and horrible solo? are you fucking kidding me? please, get off these boards after you purchase still life and realize how wrong you were by making a comment like that. The drums go along with the outro, how could it be bad?

Like I said, Still Life is music perfection.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Period.

couldnt have said it better myself. Still Life owns all

Let's put it his way (not trying to be an asshole by all means)...

If you think GR, D1 and D2 were big deissapointments and that benighted has a horrid solo than just STOP....you have nothing more to look for in Opeth, find another band to listen to. And no, this is not fanboyism, but what you wrote is just plain retarded.

Quit. EOD

gr is a disappointment (coming from Opeth)

Still life is perfection. Their best album.

How can you skip tracks on Opeth albums?? You listen to the whole album from start to finish. Yes, that's the right way.

I don't get how the solo in benighted is "horrid", please explain.

easy, you push "track forward"

but what i meant by that, is taht i rarely have the time to listen to the whole thing at once, and that i want to listen to certain songs sometimes. with MAYH or SL, i just let the whole thing play. sorry to disappoint.

Although I love BWP, and certain *parts* of Ghost Reveries and a few songs from Damnation/Deliverance, I'm a tad bit nervous about making another blind Opeth purchase. Damnation and Deliverance (and to a certain extent GR as well) were pretty big dissapointments for me coming from BWP and I hope Still Life will be different. The only I've heard from it so far is Benighted which is absolutely amazing (except for the horrid solo and drums at the end which don't fit at all)... is the rest of the album this good? Stylistically what's it like most? BWP? Morningrise?

I love BWP, I like Damnation...I didn't like Still Life at all. I really tried to like it, but couldn't warm up to it. It was disappointing considering it does seem to be the overall favorite, I believe.

I love BWP, I like Damnation...I didn't like Still Life at all. I really tried to like it, but couldn't warm up to it. It was disappointing considering it does seem to be the overall favorite, I believe.

Think about what you just said there for a second.... you like damnation, and yet you dont like Face of Melinda or Benighted. You like Blackwater Park and yet you dont like Godhead's Lament, Serenity Painted Death, Moonlapse Vertigo, White Cluster, or even THE MOOR?

I don't understand. How can this be? Please elaborate.

still life is a masterpiece, i dont even know why ppl complain about the production. i cant say one bad thing about it. the opeth release i like and listen too the least is actually deliverence, dont get me wrong, i love it, but it doesnt hit the same spot for me.

the album is full of emotion its just too much to handle in my case, so fucking beautiful it makes me cry sometimes.

I know this will sound weird, but Still Life feels like the most 'opethy' CD they've released. If you like BWP, then you should have no problem liking The Moor, Godhead's Lament, Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster. Outside of those songs i'm not a huge fan. Get MAYH if you want to be able to listen to an entire cd without hitting the skip button.

::EDIT:: I take that back just get MAYH then Still Life.

Think about what you just said there for a second.... you like damnation, and yet you dont like Face of Melinda or Benighted. You like Blackwater Park and yet you dont like Godhead's Lament, Serenity Painted Death, Moonlapse Vertigo, White Cluster, or even THE MOOR?

I don't understand. How can this be? Please elaborate.

See...here we go...now I'm going to have to try again.