stock Schecter C-8 tuning peg not accepting 0.74... HELP!

TwoGOneSee

Musical Hack
Oct 24, 2008
San Jose, CA
So my buddy just got a C8 and went to restring it for the first time and neither of us were able to get a 0.74 through the lowest tuning peg... Anybody else own a Schecter C8 and have this problem? If so, do you just try and unwind the outer wrap until you get enough through the peg? I hate the idea of having to do that every time we change the strings as it is meant for the studio and will be getting the strings changed constantly... Tips?

Hey man I use a .68 on my low string on 2 6 string guitars tuned to b, both with sperzels. Even though it's a bit scary have a tech (or yourself if you are well versed in guitar repair, and I mean well versed) drill out the slots to accept thicker gauges. A .58 was the largest string I could put in a sperzels standard. Now the .68 works no problem and the tuning stability is very good. Hope the info helps. Also you'll want the nut modified to accept larger strings very likely.

-George

I just unwind enough to go through the peg! Grab it with some pliers and pull towards the end of the string. It pulls right off, takes 30 seconds.

some string ends are not cut properly, recutting them may help. i can't fit a .60 string through my sperzel tuner but when i cut it with a sharp side cutter it fits,
worth a try :)

I have that problem with my schecter c8 guitar. I have to unwind the outer layer on the string to make it fit through the peg. I'm going to eventually file out the hole to make it larger though because unwinding the string every time is annoying.

I just unwind enough to go through the peg! Grab it with some pliers and pull towards the end of the string. It pulls right off, takes 30 seconds.

That's what I do with my EBMM Axis SS because I've been too lazy to take a drill to the tuning peg.