Stoner Black Metal?!?!

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Has anyone heard the band Asmodæo ??

They are very unique I must say. I would describe them as Stoner Black Metal, if that makes ANY sense...but once you hear these guys...it does.

I recall someone on this board mentioning that they would take mid-paced BM over hyper-speed anyday, referring to Graveland. This isn't anything like Graveland but it is definitely mid-paced, lol.

:headbang:

lol that just sounds funny.. i'm trying to find a song by them to listen to and ran across this from Doom-Metal.com :

You have got to wonder when you get a demo from a bunch of Italians with a strange obsession about the behinds of demons (track one is called 'The march of the Ass demon'?!). And when reading through their biography, they state to be influenced by bands as diverse as Skepticism, Bethlehem, Pentagram, St. Vitus, Winter, Electric Wizard and EyeHateGod. Surely they can not sound like all those bands? I think it is save to say that Asmodæo is a strange little band. However, this does not make them a bad band or not interesting. Rather the opposite!

Have you ever thought about what would happen if St. Vitus would go sludge with black screams for vocals? Because that is perhaps the best way I can describe Asmodæo. Painstakingly slow and heavy doom in the vein of aforementioned St. Vitus and Electric Wizard but with bizarre screams and a filthy edge to it. Sometimes the band even gets a little groove going and we hear some Black Sabbath worship. But always with screams right down from the pits of hell (and the occasional clean vocal or whispered intermezzo).

Given this odd combination I am not sure how much they will appeal to most people. Generally speaking, most old stoner/hippie doomsters will love their music but probably be turned off by the vocals, and on the other side the music will be enough to make any Black-metal or Dark-metal fan turn their back on it. Still, it might be worth for both sides to transcend some of their preconceptions and give these good old butt demons a try. Stoner rock / trad. doom with black screams, who would have ever imagined such a thing!

Emotionally the music hovers in between everything and nothing. Which is a bit of a shame. It lacks the positive mood set by stoner but is neither very depressing as most doom is. Nor is it really evil sounding like Black-metal or "filthy" like Sludge.

If this has sparked your interest, you can get in contact with the band by e-mailing vargnatt@iol.it .

interesting indeed

LOL! Ya, that guy does a good job of trying to define them I guess. This isn't something I could listen to over and over....more of a novelty band. But it is pretty good in an odd kind of way???

BloodStainedWalls said:
I recall someone on this board mentioning that they would take mid-paced BM over hyper-speed anyday, referring to Graveland. This isn't anything like Graveland but it is definitely mid-paced, lol.
That would be me.