Stoner rock recommendations??

[X]

Music Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
I've been listening to Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun album. I think it's awesome. Since I'm kinda new to this genre (stoner rock?), do you have any suggestions on the early bands that I should listen to or new bands that deserve attention?

Thanks

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

Stoner doesn't get any better than that, at least what I have heard.

Yeah, been meaning to check them out but still haven't.

Listening to some EXCELLENT stoner right now, Ufomammut - Snailking. Extremely heavy and quite psychadelic.

Get Kyuss - And the circus leaves town as well, better then Blues for the Red Sun, probably not as good as welcome to sky valley though...

Monster Magnets "Superjudge" is a damn good album. And if you would delve in to the smoke hazy 70´s I recommend the godfathers of stoner rock Hawkwind. All the albums between 1970 and 1975 (when they were dropped from United Artists) are solid gold. I recommend you begin with the live album "Space Ritual" and "Hall of the mountain grill".

Pink Floyd's "Darkside of the Moon" is a must for you to hear with head-phones on (big ass ones! Not ear-phones for walkmens either). The Cars "In stereo" is another whom my buds always liked listening to when catching a buzz,though I perfered listening to Rush (Farewell to Kings),Styx (Crystalball),Led Zep (any album except Coda) or anything from Robert Plant when in the mood. Jesse Cooke and Delirium who are relatively new compared to those I've mention sound awesome too.

Potpossum said:
Pink Floyd's "Darkside of the Moon" is a must for you to hear with head-phones on (big ass ones! Not ear-phones for walkmens either). The Cars "In stereo" is another whom my buds always liked listening to when catching a buzz,though I perfered listening to Rush (Farewell to Kings),Styx (Crystalball),Led Zep (any album except Coda) or anything from Robert Plant when in the mood. Jesse Cooke and Delirium who are relatively new compared to those I've mention sound awesome too.
Uhh, I think you misunderstood the question. :p

I'd count Fireball Ministry, those dudes and chicks are great.

Thank you, I never expected such a great replies :D

are you just looking for newer stoner or are you open to stuff from the 70s?

I'm open to the older stuff. I tend to trace music from their roots. so start recommend me the stuffs from 70s :)

btw, how about electric wizard? are they good?

Stoner rock, i'd choose:
Practically any Sabbath or Floyd album
Pentagram
Grand Magus
Electric Wizard's Supercoven
Electric Wizard's Dopethrone
High on Fire's Surrounded by Thieves
Cathedral's Forest of Equilibrium and Carnival Bizzare
Thorr's Hammer's Dommedagsnatte...it is pretty dark to be even considered stoner rock. Just pack a few bowls and let this dark masterpiece of sludge devour your soul!

ACID KING

Just heard them today, EXCELLENT stoner stuff. Yob is fucking great as well. Anyone care to read the review of that one, click the Royal Carnage link in my signature [/shameless plug]

All the bands listed are more like Metal bands in my mind but I'll list some to go along with it..

DEFINITELY CHECK OUT HIGH ON FIRE!!!! They are fucking amazing.
KYUSS is definitely an awesome band... but you know that already
FU MANCHU is another great stoner rock band.. if you like kyuss you'll probably dig these guys...

hhhmmm....Cathedral ( they do good covers of Solitude and Wheels of Confusion by Black Sabbath) Acid Bath - Pagan Terrorism Tactics. Old stuff - The Doors, later Beatles, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, Simon and Garfunkel, and pretty much any Sabbath with Ozzy.

I also agree with finding 70's stuff. Even some of the bigger 70's bands like The Wings, Rush, Kansas, Pink Floyd and Yes are great stoner music. America is also pretty cool, though "easy listening" they have a cool vibe. I would look into some of that.
This is a non-metal forum, but I consider two great classic metal German bands to be great "stoner" bands in their own way as well though they aren't normally associated with it. Accept and The Scorps have that "teutonic" sound which means nothing more than "germanic" but they blend aggression, melody, technical wizardry, and a machine style precision perfectly and after a few beers... or whatever.. >:p~ they will engulf you with powerful music that makes that buzz double, especially Accept.

Bryant