Stoner Rock Appreciation Thread

anonymousnick2001

World's Greatest Vocalist
Aug 10, 2003
I
VVVVV's was a little out-of-date, so I'll start a new one:

Recommend and/or fellate the hell out of stoner rock bands, songs, albums and culture. Anything from Mastodon to Fu Manchu to The Obsessed. Hell, even stoner-esque doom metal and stuff like Cathedral or Sunn0))).

I recently fell back in love with Kyuss.

\m/ >_< \m/

Kyuss
Sunn O)))
Down
House of Aquarius
Monster Magnet
Cathedral
Unida
Hammers of Misfortune (they have one doom song :D )
Ufomammut

Stoner/doom is pretty much the only metal I listen to right now, I've grown tired of most black/death/brown/poop/whatever, but Big n' Nasty Riffs still get me going.

Slo Burn, yes. That EP is so fucking good I really wish they would've recorded more.

I need some old Monster Magnet god dammit. GOD DAMMIT!!!

Great thread!

Kyuss
Fu Manchu
Orange Goblin
Nebula
Sally
Nebula

The little Monster Magnet I was exposed too seemed stoner rock lite. It seemed more spacy (with a tinge of mainstream) than down 'n dirty like the ones we've already mentioned. But I'm gonna plead ignorance. Recommend me some old Monster Magnet that I should check out that would change my mind.

Speaking of crossovers, High on Fire fucking dominate. One of my favorite new bands. Cathedral in the doom/groove crossover...another brilliant band.

I was lucky enough to see Slo Burn at Ozzfest '97 on the side stage. Best band on that stage all day.

yeah I'll second/third

Fun Manchu (Boogie Van!!!!)
Kyuss (Just plain rule)

I'll add
Rollerball (Australian band, possibly the laziest on the planet) but they did some wicked stuff, like a cover of 'Evie Let Your Hair Hang Down'

Starbreaker said:
The little Monster Magnet I was exposed too seemed stoner rock lite. It seemed more spacy (with a tinge of mainstream) than down 'n dirty like the ones we've already mentioned. But I'm gonna plead ignorance. Recommend me some old Monster Magnet that I should check out that would change my mind.
The best ones are Spine of God and Dopes to Infinity.

I don't think Phil will be releasing anything anytime soon... :erk:

The first Down is incredible, the second was disappointing in comparison, but not a terrible album.

I actually liked the second one a little better, because the vocals weren't all "Cat Scratch Fever" if you know what I mean.

However, Down fucking own.

High on Fire own.

Orange Goblin own.

Spiritual Beggars own.

500 Ft. of Pipe own.

Nebula own.

Check out Electric Wizard and Fireball Ministry.

Hell, www.stonerrock.com

^^^That jukebox is nuts. The low quality enhances the music because it adds to the dusty desert feel of the music.