Stoner Rock Appreciation Thread

I think someone once described Sunn's sound as that of tectonic plates rubbing against one another.

Hell yes.

Edit:

This is the sound of tectonic plates grating each other as the continents inexorably shift in a timeless geological ballet as forces older than life inevitably grind to an apocalyptic conclusion. Listen to the volcanic rumblings within and lose yourself in the vast wastes of the universe.
:headbang:

i think that if another Down album does come out, it wont be for a couple of years. But also, with the down albums thing. you cant really try and take both albums the same way. coz Bustle in your hedgrow has such a different sound. more of a bluesy laidback feel. whereas most of Nola is just heavy as fuck. oh and did anyone else notice how much "Jail" off Nola sounds like a slighty altered Planet Caravan? and also how Nola seems to be a heavier Sabbath and Hedgrow seems to be a much, much heavier Led Zeppelin?(gotta have something to do with the name)

some groovy dude on amazon.com said:
This is the sound of tectonic plates grating each other as the continents inexorably shift in a timeless geological ballet as forces older than life inevitably grind to an apocalyptic conclusion. Listen to the volcanic rumblings within and lose yourself in the vast wastes of the universe.

Aside from the ballad-esque closing sentence, that's rather accurate and concise.

I agree that Down II has much more Zeppelin influence, although the vocals are very Sabbath-esque. Riffs like "Lysergik..." or "Dog Tired" could be Zeppelin-styled, and the last track definitely. Also notice that the album is much, much more sonically diverse than NOLA.

And is it odd that I find Sunn O))) relaxing?

But why? I never understood why. NOLA has so much pointless screaming, and both albums have awesome riffs.

Riffs > Screaming

Down II is definitely more Zeppelin influenced than NOLA. Even Bower himself has stated this on interviews.

I personally like NOLA better than "Bustle...", which is not to take anything away from Down II but where Down II is a great album NOLA is a masterpiece.

I got to say though, lately I've been listening to lots of Zeppelin and 70s classic rock and my appreciation for Down II has increased, it's an epic more diverse album than NOLA. However, every time I put on NOLA and the guitars kick in on 'Temptations Wings' there's this huge grin on my face and I know I'm in for a godly slab of southern metal. The guitars simply pack more punch and to my ears the tone is better than on Down II, even the drumming sounds heavier/more aggressive. As for the Phils vocals/screaming, I think it fits the overall vibe of the album very well. They carry a huge amount of aggression and emotion. Think of him what you like as a person but in my opinion he's one of the best singers ever. As for the riffs, I think both albums are packed with amazing riffs, which proves why Down is one the best bands I've had a pleasure to hear in my 21 years of existence. Timeless music.