Strandberg Guitars -- Thoughts?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Been checking out Strandbergs a lot lately and getting somewhat of a boner over them. I'm just wondering how many of you have played one and what you think of them?

I'm highly considering jumping on one of the Strictly 7 Strandberg Boden 8s from the production run they're doing. The extremely ergonomic/light weight nature of them seems so appealing...

Also, Paul from S7 told me that 7 string EMGs fit the routes of the Lace pickups and are wide enough to work well. I find that comforting, considering I'm very used to EMG 707s and can easily get a good sound out of them for my tastes... It would be easy to fall back on them if I don't dig the sound of the Lace pickups for distorted stuff.

Still, they're pretty pricey and I'd have to wait 4 months to get ahold of one, so I'd like to hear some opinions if anyone here has tried them out.

I'm really interested in them, but sadly I've no playing experience of any of them. I like the fan on them a lot; I went with a 27" to 30" fan on my own custom 8-string, and it's perhaps a bit overkill, although still all kinds of ergonomic and fun to play. My woods are kind of similar too, with a swamp ash body, bolt on neck and wenge/maple/bubinga neck. I guess it's not saying much, but it's my favourite guitar ever so far. I have no idea about those Lace pickups either though, I've got Lundgren M8's in mine, and they're slanted instead of straight.

Is this the same strictly 7 that Merrow had quality issues with?

No, Strandberg was partnered with S7 for making them about a year and a half ago? and then the company went tits-up because they made terrible instruments and everyone jumped ship. Strandberg hooked up with World Musical Instruments co. (PRS SE, Chapman, Samick, etc). I'm not sure where the whole "Boden" name originates but this isn't the same as the old S7 made stuff they did in 2013 ish.

No, Strandberg was partnered with S7 for making them about a year and a half ago? and then the company went tits-up because they made terrible instruments and everyone jumped ship. Strandberg hooked up with World Musical Instruments co. (PRS SE, Chapman, Samick, etc). I'm not sure where the whole "Boden" name originates but this isn't the same as the old S7 made stuff they did in 2013 ish.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Recently got to play a Boden 7 for a few minutes when I picked up a used ENGL locally. I was really surprised at how loud and big it sounded unplugged... I mean the thing weighs nothing and still sounds big. So that was very cool. Playability was very good... didn't notice the fanning much and even though the neck shape IS very noticeable (and noticeably different from a "normal" neck) it wasn't uncomfortable or weird at all. Also, the guitar seemed really well crafted. That encounter actually made me seriously consider getting a Boden myself - six string though. Oh, this was one of the US models which I think are made by Washburn.

Recently got to play a Boden 7 for a few minutes when I picked up a used ENGL locally. I was really surprised at how loud and big it sounded unplugged... I mean the thing weighs nothing and still sounds big. So that was very cool. Playability was very good... didn't notice the fanning much and even though the neck shape IS very noticeable (and noticeably different from a "normal" neck) it wasn't uncomfortable or weird at all. Also, the guitar seemed really well crafted. That encounter actually made me seriously consider getting a Boden myself - six string though. Oh, this was one of the US models which I think are made by Washburn.

I had the same experience; I played Wes Hauch's 7 string, which isn't one of the Bodens, but was really really surprised at how hugely resonant it was despite being so light and small. The neck is totally weird (not a smooth curve on the back, it has a flat edge) but felt amazing and the whole thing just kind of played itself it felt.

Yeah the endurneck is supposed to be flat but in a twisted way so that your thumb always have the optimal position opposed to your fingers : more classical and flat position

I have a fanned and weird 7 string guitar as well, and it has a lot of sustain too. I think it is due to the neck being screwed to the body with more screws than usual (6) + the neck being connected to the body with a bigger surface, and length up to the 12th fret or so. It must save energy and sustain is bigger in return.

I would love to try a Strandberg, they look good for a weird guitar, they seem to have nice qualities and I have understood the benefits of fanned fret with that guitar of mine, it simply has a better tuning than all my other guitars and playing chords on it, even in the lowest notes, just seem to be more precise and deep !