strange audio problem - any ideas??

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

since a couple of days ago i'm getting some weird audio glitches.

they occur irregulary, but if they do, they typically last for around 5 seconds. i'm getting a mid-to high pitched glitching noise that's very consistent...almost like 60bpm or something, so one every second. they audio playback usually isn't stuttering when they appear, but that did also happen once or twice.
it's independent of CPU load i'd say....i've had it happen while only listening to music, without any major resource hogs working in the back or foreground. but it typically happens when listening to music, and the audio isn't stuttering, only 4-6 pops/glitches/whatever. it's dead center, so i'd rule out any audio cables (as it would only affect one channel that way) or my monitors.

i'm running an RME fireface 400 with TI chipset loaded firewire card...belkin i think.
win xp system btw.

anyone have any sort of idea what might be going on there?

well, it DID work for the past years without any issues at all. i'm not sure if i want to go through updating the whole system to win 7, especially with tracking sessions scheduled for next week...

any ideas on what might cause this??

Have you installed any new software in the last couple of days ?

It's Windows XP, it's probably been installing software on it's own :heh:

In all seriousness, I would get problems like that all the time. I would end up reformatting and reinstalling the OS and it would be fine for a few months, then the issues would slowly return.

All of that stopped once I learned that your DAW setup should never be your web browsing computer. Separate internet computer = no more problems.

At least that worked for me.

my audio pc isn't connected to the internet! i didn't install any new software either. it just came out of the dark.