strange dreams

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
To get us back on topic after my last post ahem...

I have been having these recurring strange dreams for the past few years. I have brought it up on the motW mailinglist but I'll bring it up here as well because I had another one last night. The basic premise of them is that I am back in high school but its in the present so I am at school but I am 24, for example, and not 16. Usually the dream entails seeing one of my old teachers for some reason or the more popular event is me being late for a class or trying to figure out which class I actually have at a specific period. Its weird because on more than one occasion I have been going to a class but feeling like I haven't been to in ages and then I freak out because I haven't done any homework and thats usually when I wake up.

However, this past night's scenario was strange. I had gone back and I know part of it revolved around me wandering to and from the cafeteria and the teacher in the cafe not really caring but eventually I remember being with another student, though I can't remember who, and talking with our English teacher who we'll just refer to as Mr. K. So we are talking and as we talk I realize we are presenting papers in English class today and I haven't done mine so I panic and hope I don't have to do mine in class today. I know this is silly but read on.

As we get to class, instead of presenting the paper he collects them and I have none to show for it which was the case a couple times in my actual history in Mr. K's class. He shoots me one of his usual looks of disappointment and I go home to work on it. And here's where it got even weirder before I woke up. Basically, one of the other parts of these dreams as of late is that it will also be tied in with my college experiences, i.e. I'll see friends from college as students at my high school or something similar. So this dream ends with me in my room at home emptying out my bookbag of the books I need to do a report on and there are 6 plays that come out of the bag. Where this ties into college is that I had a theater lit teacher my senior year who we'll call Fr. Jackass and who acted the same in class as Mr. K. He would refer to students by their last name, i.e. he called me Mr. Massi and mispronounced my last name the same way Mr. K did. Also he would humiliate and berate students in class in the same kind of way but even harsher than Mr. K. Weird! I think it was joining the teachers together as one but giving it the face of my high school teacher because of the setting.

At this point I woke up confused. These dreams bug me because they keep coming and coming and I still don't understand what my brain is trying to tell me in them.

Any thoughts?

um, typically speaking, people have dreams about their educational experiences when they feel like they are not knowledgable enough to take care of themselves or other people, or the responsibilities they view themselves as having. not that it is necessarily true, but i mean, generally and atypically speaking, that is the explanation of this type of dream (according to general symbolism theory). dreams about returning to school are fairly common for people who dislike their jobs also.

i should add that, to specifically figure out what the dream really means for you in depth you'd have to really define what your school experience was, and try to figure out why you're trying to (a) either repeat it or (b) why you're terrified of repeating it.

interesting, the dream and the analysis. Bali, i have the same dream - at least the first part of it.

usually, it is college, and i suddenly decide to show up at a class i haven't been to in either a very long time during the span of a normal semester, or quite literally, for 8 years. and then i start to panic.

bear in mind that i'm a bit older than you, so it seems as though these dreams don't stop?

prep's comments make sense, though. i feel it does tie in with responsibility issues and/or issues of self-fulfillment...

have people on the mailing list contributed anything relevant?

wow. well without really spilling my guts of every horrible experience i associate with my educational history i can say that i will give some thought to that analysis preppy. I think it makes a good amount of sense but it would take me a while to understand what in my current situation is causing those feelings to manifest themselves in such a way.

and goatschool no one on the mailing list really contributed much but i can't remember because it was a while ago.

you know... if you believe in dream analysis at all (believing therein that dreams are a manifestation of your possibly unknown feelings/desires or wish fulfillment etc) then you have to also realize that dreams, in this way, are telling you something you are not necessarily conscious of at all about yourself. it is your mind's apparent way of introducing you to a dilemma you are ignoring. so if you can't figure out what it's in reference to right away, just keep it in mind for a while because it may become apparent later.