Strange Instrument Ideas

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
Post any weird instrument ideas you have here.

I was thinking of putting a bamboo pipe along the side of a guitar neck, and it picks up the sound of the string, then I make the pipe go over to the pick ups and it will have a more hollow sound. I'm not sure if its already been done though.

I'd like to play this thing: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DeArmond-Ashbory-Bass?sku=510832

268998.jpg

This looks pretty cool.

I don't get how the sympathetic strings make any sound though, I wonder if you have to strum through it or something. In a regular sitar the sympathetic strings are underneath.

Another thing that would be cool but expensive is you put some speakers under the strings of a guitar, you get the speaker to generate a highly bass boosted sound from the pickups so that it goes into the strings but isn't again picked up by the pickups. My theory is the strings would be able to ring forever. Because if something has a lot of bass it can shake floors and stuff it can definitely shake strings.

Maybe a flute that you don't have to blow into, one with a propeller that you pedal with your feet, that would be awesome.

In high school I was thinking about designing a double bass pedal that is operated like a bicycle pedal. It would take some getting used to, but imagine how much faster you could play!

The only problem I see with it is that it would be tough to switch back and fourth between that and the regular pedal for single kicks.

Yeah the theremin is great, I wanna get one for experimental music.

Another thing that would be cool but expensive is you put some speakers under the strings of a guitar, you get the speaker to generate a highly bass boosted sound from the pickups so that it goes into the strings but isn't again picked up by the pickups. My theory is the strings would be able to ring forever. Because if something has a lot of bass it can shake floors and stuff it can definitely shake strings.

This won't work. Here's why:

1) A speaker would need a great amount of shielding in order for it not to be registered by the pickup. Without the shielding, you'd end up with a feedback loop that would be nearly impossible to control at high volumes.

2) The vibration of the strings that you're looking for can't occur when you have speakers under your strings because of the magnetic pull of the speakers themselves. They, like your pickups, by their nature will pull down on the strings, thereby reducing your sustain.

If you want infinite sustain, here's your options:

1) Stand close to your amplifier with the volume cranked. You'll get sustain, but also feedback problems that can be difficult to control and you may not be the right distance to get the note sustained the way you want.

2) Get yourself a Fernandes Guitars Sustainer or...http://http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustainer.html

3) ...get yourself an E-Bow http://www.ebow.com/

Yeah but if it realeases a lot of bass frequency it won't really be much of a sound, more of a vibration. Thats what I mean. Like so low that you can't even hear it but you can feel it. Also it would have to be after the 21st fret so it probably would get picked up by the pickups.

I know something that would be sweet. You make bass strings that are maybe 3 or 4 inches thick. And you get huge tuning forks and put them up. Then you make a fretboard. It would be really expensive not to mention impossible to play. But I guess if you recorded every note and made some stuff through sampling it might be cool.

Yeah but if it realeases a lot of bass frequency it won't really be much of a sound, more of a vibration. Thats what I mean. Like so low that you can't even hear it but you can feel it. Also it would have to be after the 21st fret so it probably would get picked up by the pickups.

To reproduce something that low, you'd need a 12, 15 or 18-inch subwoofer (trust me, I also play bass). The magnetic pull from the speaker being that close to the strings would counteract any type of sustain you're trying to achieve.

I used to work at a custom guitar manufacturer and one request I received via E-mail was basically a bongo drum with six strings on the side fixed at each end of the drum. No frets or anything, just six strings attached to the drum shell. We had to decline the offer, but since then I've always been curious on what he expected to achieve with such an instrument.

I used to work at a custom guitar manufacturer and one request I received via E-mail was basically a bongo drum with six strings on the side fixed at each end of the drum. No frets or anything, just six strings attached to the drum shell. We had to decline the offer, but since then I've always been curious on what he expected to achieve with such an instrument.

Sympathetic vibration?

I know something that would be cool. It would be a guitar with a hollow bamboo dome outside of sympathetic strings. The regular strings would go over the bamboo area which would be like the drum thing in a banjo I guess and there would be pick ups outside and inside the bamboo dome. The sound of the normal strings would probably go through the bamboo to make a hollow sound into the inside pickups, and it will be mixed with the outside pickups as well as the sympathetic strings. So it would be about 3 sounds mixed together.

I think a banjo needs to be introduced into metal music. There are some wicked players out there in the progressive country scene.... but it still sounds.... well country. Maybe an alternative tuning of a banjo would just rip in metal if it were used sparingly. I also dig "strings" which is violin, cello etc. That isn't really rare, but it has a good impact when used right.

Bryant

I was thinking it wouldn't fit, but any instrument can fit to anything when you distort it enough and play it a certain way.