Strapping Young Lad

NineFeetUnderground said:
i dont care what anyone says...his SYL material not genius, nor challenging...its just insulting to one's intelligence. erk-opolis, population: devin townsend.

Yeah but its not suppossed to be, its jus big dumb fun, pure noise catharsis.

Devs the Man ;)

FUBAR said:
Yeah but its not suppossed to be, its jus big dumb fun, pure noise catharsis.

Devs the Man ;)

dumb...fun...noise...catharsis. i think given those 4 different words and the amount of possible combinations, you probably contradicted yourself in upwards of about 500 times.

NineFeetUnderground said:
dumb...fun...noise...catharsis. i think given those 4 different words and the amount of possible combinations, you probably contradicted yourself in upwards of about 500 times.

:rolleyes: ah...your a one you are.

I like Strapping Young Lad. It's manic, uncontrolled, not serious, has no direction, but like already said, it's just purely music for when you're pissed off or when you want to listen to something crazy and interesting.

I actually genuinely like Strapping. I concede that 'Alien' is their only particularly well rounded album, but WHAT an album! Gene's drumming is excellent, and Devin throws some really cool ideas out onto the table.
I guess I'm biased, because that record got me through some tough times when I couldn't really stand to listen to anything that was particularly emotional. I listened to it EVERY day for at least 2 months. I never tire of it, but I can definately see why it wouldn't appeal to some people.

Oh, and I'd LOVE to go to the gig, but don't think I'd be able to make it to Portsmouth. Come on the tour! Play Scotland!

Lol you can't go to far with all those bands out there that write lyrics in this vein and actually take it seriously. :lol:

I only heard 'U Suck' once, and I like it. But I think, for the new album, it'll be the equivalent of 'We Ride' on Alien. Not one of my favourites, but one of the more in your face songs. Good stuff, can't wait for the whole thing :)

I'm actually really looking forward to the new one myself. Alien was my first Townsend CD which led me to the rest of his discography - SYL, his solo material, and Devin Townsend Band. All of which, I thoroughly enjoy although it is (as was said) mood music.

Any word on the release date for the new record?