Strapping Young Lad

Alien on par with City?
UH-UH, I dont' think so.
Dev is trying to sell aggression. He was going to end SYL a few years back but his other projects just did not make him money. SYL makes him money and it is all meant to be in fun and dammit, I like most of it.

I kinda like the new one. Not on par with City but I don't think ole Dev is capable of doing that again. He however can make us laugh and I think like Zappa, Comedy Does Belong in music.!~

gatedropper said:
Alien on par with City?
UH-UH, I dont' think so.
Dev is trying to sell aggression. He was going to end SYL a few years back but his other projects just did not make him money. SYL makes him money and it is all meant to be in fun and dammit, I like most of it.

Well, I think it is.
Alien is a pretty aggressive album.

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
i really really like city. i dont care much for the rest.

Likewise, City's the only SYL disc I enjoy (so much so it's definitely in my top 10)... none of the other albums had that much intensity. It's like everything that came afterwards was a "forced" aggression.

Although I do like Ocean Machine just a tiny bit more than City.

Anyone got got the recent remaster of 'As Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing'?...never liked the production of that album, hopefully itll sound decent now.

I would like to have it for the new liner notes that Devin added to them. I really don't really care much for HARHT as a whole album, but In the Rainy Season is probably my favorite SYL song.

the_drip said:
lol plz...metal is entertainment. sorry but all these metal bands and prog rock that you so highly covet now aren't goign to mean shit 100 years down the road. the more pretentious an "artist" gets with his/her music the more forgettable they become. These people need to know they're place and sit in it humbly..and just make the music they enjoy making. SYL does this very well. Music does alot of things...yes it is an artform it evokes emotions...different music sends different messages...SYL's is primitive, juvenile and full of rage w/ a big toungue-in-cheek. It's fun as hell, and makes me (at least) feel good when I listen to it.

stop telling everyone how bad they're taste in music is and try to have a good time jesus christ. STick to suggesting good music to people instead of berating their own choices. You have good taste, I like "most" things you suggest.
just wanted to quote this so everyone who didn't see it the first time can see this post.

Thinking of Dev as inconsistent or "not good" is possibly symptomatic of not "getting" the Dev. He mixes fierce metal with classic rock, pop, throwaway goofiness, ambience, prog, even touches of polka (!!) and folk. Match that with a very polished production style, a down-tuned guitar tone often drenched in delay/reverb, sitting atop a wash of glistening keyboards, all topped off with openly neurotic lyrics and you've got a unique catalogue that's a mass of expressive greatness, imo, afaik, tbh, etc.

I haven't even mentioned that he's one of the very best metal vocalists ever. From low, death-type growls to hardcore yelling to high-pitched screams to classic metal cod-operatic power vibrato to clean vox, his voice very nearly has it all, and that's exceptional.

If you approach his stuff with the attitude that you're after fairly straight-ahead frowny extreme metal then you're gonna be disappointed cos it's nowhere as obvious or easy as that, but he is one very, very talented mofo, imo, afaik, tbh, etc.

Compare his levels of creativity and expression with a band like, Keep Of Kalessin, for example, and the Nordic ones come across about as impressive as Bad News...

EDIT: I am referrring to Dev's solo output as well as SYL here. I don't really draw a line between them