Strats for rhythm tracks

Not really metal, but King's X's "Dogman" is a Strat into a rackmount Recto. Heavy tones for sure.

IIRC, the chain was Strat --> Dual "Racktifier" --> slaved to Mesa Simul 395 power amps --> Mesa 4x12s w/Vintage 30s.

Aside from that, I remember Dave Mustaine saying he used a Strat for some overdubs on one of the more recent Megadeth records- The World Needs A Hero, I think.

I saw Kovenant live with Moonspell and Amorphis a few years ago. They were using single-coil Strats.

I've seen live shots of Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth with a Strat as well. I know they use them in the studio for clean stuff on occasion.

Probably not the most metal example, but Kirk Hammett used a single coil Strat a fair bit on Reload. Not a great album by any stretch, but killer tones and production.

I know a lot of guys use 'em for clean stuff (myself included!) but they don't get a ton of use for heavy rhythms. I should cut some heavy tracks with my Strat; it is a cool tone if it's dialed in right- really biting and agressive.

dark tranquillity were using strats fanatically on their early years, i have no idea though if they were single coils...
the only thing i like about my strat are the aftermarket (gretch or sechter i thing or whatever the hell they're spelled lol ) tuners, i doesn't get off tune ever. neverrrrr... no really, never! :)