The bi-annual 'Sweet Vengeance' guitar worship thread

maybe I'm some kind of alien, but I was never so much into Clayman nor this record (this IS my first time hearing it, through). Musically it's not quite my thing, I can dig on it sometimes, but the production, while sounding great in it's own way, has never been my thing.

I still think my FAVORITE sounding metal record of all time is Stabbing the Drama... but that's a tough call. Regardless, THAT'S SOME SHIT right there =D

Few records for me 'have it all'. Stabbing the Drama is probably my favourite low-end on a metal production, but it literally only works for a band playing rhythms like those, in that tuning. I've tried it many times, and was only ever able to execute something close for one CD. Otherwise though I find the guitars a bit too odd, and the drums too papery.

Sweet Vengeance for me is a great all-rounder. I think it serves the music perfectly. I get vibed immediately when I hear it. It also possibly has the most perfect tom sound ever recorded. Seriously, if you don't believe me just play the start of 'In My Heart'. That roll just aces it.

Few records for me 'have it all'. Stabbing the Drama is probably my favourite low-end on a metal production, but it literally only works for a band playing rhythms like those, in that tuning. I've tried it many times, and was only ever able to execute something close for one CD. Otherwise though I find the guitars a bit too odd, and the drums too papery.

Sweet Vengeance for me is a great all-rounder. I think it serves the music perfectly. I get vibed immediately when I hear it. It also possibly has the most perfect tom sound ever recorded. Seriously, if you don't believe me just play the start of 'In My Heart'. That roll just aces it.

Couldn't agree with you MORE on STD. It really only works for that record but in general I'm always searching for the 'type' of low-end clarity in my mixes; not a copycat of course, but just the idea of the kick/bass relationship being so harmonious.

I will get this album in high-quality, crank it in the studio and report back! You haven't steered me wrong before and I don't think you ever will, Ermie =D

Gonna have to get a full res version of this. Seems a bit harsh over the ol' youtube.

Kick gets no love from me at all...
snare is a bit strange...sounds very roomey tho, which I think is cool.

Guitars....hmm........I dunno, the best word I have for it is "tasteless". They work good on some spots and solo, but at some parts they become a bit unclear.
Something about the mid structure is offending to me, but I cant put my finger on it...
Yet there's something in that sound that I seem to dig...cool growl at some spots!

I'm with CJ here, I also never was a huge into the clayman sound...+1 on everything say about STD by both of you.

I dont get why the worship I've just listened some songs of that album in youtube and the guitar tone doesnt sound really good to me and the overall mix sounds hmmm blurry?:confused: . That kind of tone is very common in that style of music and not unique at all (to me :) )

I dont get why the worship I've just listened some songs of that album in youtube and the guitar tone doesnt sound really good to me and the overall mix sounds hmmm blurry?:confused: . That kind of tone is very common in that style of music and not unique at all (to me :) )

comes down to taste i guess then

i think this tone is the shit and the riffing too

this style of riffing and tone is common as in you can hear similar stuff on a lot of records, but on this one it's stellar IMO

and Lindberg' vocals are so filled-with-hate-sounding, and i live for that stuff

Yeah I'm not into this style of mix at all...messy gothenburg style mix, everything sounds smeared all over the place. Actually its probably my least favorite mix of all Nightrage albums (though I don't particularly like any of the mixes)...I guess I just don't "get it".

...messy gothenburg style mix, everything sounds smeared all over the place.

my sentiments exactly.... butttttttt, I have yet to hear it in the control room.. haha, so I will hold back all opinions..

however, i stand by my Clayman statement. I just really don't think it's anything special... it's very akin to this mix... kinda smeary and just weird... IDK... just never dug it too much. not for me I guess!

fucking LOVE most of Nordstrom's work though (or Henrik, who doesn't get credited for a lot of the best records Nordstrom has produced....which apparently he mixed).. could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

It's understandable, I think for a lot of those who favor modern metal mixes, there is an inherent aversion against records which sound like a band playing together. For me, what I love most about the Sweet Vengeance mix is that it's basically a rock mix done for a metal band. For me it retains all the energy endemic to the music, without trying to overstate itself or clean everything up. It sounds like a band who could play really well were captured and represented accurately on a record. Ultimately that's what this gig is all about to me.

It's understandable, I think for a lot of those who favor modern metal mixes, there is an inherent aversion against records which sound like a band playing together. For me, what I love most about the Sweet Vengeance mix is that it's basically a rock mix done for a metal band. For me it retains all the energy endemic to the music, without trying to overstate itself or clean everything up. It sounds like a band who could play really well were captured and represented accurately on a record. Ultimately that's what this gig is all about to me.

+1

And it has a specific vibe from this era/area.

Yeah, i picked this up ages ago. Seriously one of my favourite albums of all time. The melodies are beyond awesome :worship: Too bad that theier further releases arent that great as sweet vengence is.

I reckon a New Disease is Born is a killer record. Good production for the genre too (well I think so anyways!)

See, now this makes me think. I've never thought of nor 'heard' the record with this kind of context in mind...

Maybe it's because one of my absolutely FAVORITE era in recorded history is the 50's and early 60's.... to ME, THAT is what a band sounds like playing in a room, jamming their fucking asses off...

I guess I have a hard time leveraging that kind of stuff against a record like this one, but now that I go back and listen I can see where you're coming from and I totally respect that...

FOR ME, mordern metal records that sound like a band jamming in the room are records done by Ballou, Albini (who's much more on the 'indie' side here but has done some heavier records, like Zao for instance, GOOD GODDDDD), etc... IDK.

Wherein, it's even MORE the performances I love rather than the actual tones. ..especially in the case of Zao's "Liberate Te Ex Inferis".... just straight up sounds like your deep at some early 90 crust-grind show....and I LOVE that.

=D OPENED my EYES yet AGAIN, Ermz... hahaha

I was listening to a bunch of melodeath albums on the huge drive to and from the drum studio this week, and whenever this record came on it just totally killed everything vibe-wise! Translates well even in the car.