Your very *favourite* rhythm guitar sound?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I've been thinking a lot lately about rhythm sounds. It's mainly because I seem to have become extremely picky in what I like. There are so many tones out there I dislike or downright hate, that I started wondering whether there were still any I liked anymore. This thread is the result of said pondering.

To make this easier than the 'favourite production' thread, you're allowed to pick a Top 3, but NO MORE THAN THAT.

I'm curious to see what you all rate as your very faves.

Mine would have to go in this order:

1. Meshuggah - Chaosphere (The ultimate djent tone. The bass adds so much.)

2. Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance (Close call between this and Clayman, gg Nordstrom [fuck you, I don't have those umlaut dots on this english keyboard])

3. Ion Dissonance - Minus the Herd (Somehow mixing a 6505+ and JCM900 comes to 'ENGL done better than ENGL')

no paticular order:

Nevermore TGE (cutting, tight, smooth) / Arch Enemy doomsday (for the same reasons)
Nevermore DHIADW (a bit more raw, still tight)
Devildriver TLKW (a bit "thicker"/Darker...powerful)

they're all pretty different but all of them are perfect ;)

Pantera - Power Metal(Even though the recording isnt really "hifi".)
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest For The Wicked

In more modern metal id probably say one of the Bodom records, dont know which one though. ^^

I'm yet to hear it, but a few albums have come close:

Testament - The Gathering (such depth to it, and a nice growl)
Terror 2000 - Slaughterhouse Supremacy (incredibly articulate even at extreme speeds, and such nice rawness to it)
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh (awesomely articulate even on the lowest string in A/B-tuning, you can easily make out what's being played)

And a special mention for the Fredrik Thordendal & Morgan Ågren Sol Niger Within medley in the Swedish tv-show Trum. The palm mutes are simply crushing!

In no particular order:

Devildriver - The Fury of our Makers Hand

My 3 favourites. :headbang:

Nevermore the tone on river dragon has come. Fear factory obsolete. Pantera The great southern trendkill. Metallica black album tone.

Ill second Metallicas black album and Garage Inc

Also Killswitch Engage - End of Heartache

Bullet for My Valentine - The Poison (Great guitar tones)

Alice in Chains - Dirt (songs like Them Bones and Dam that River)

Withered Beauty - self-titled album, It's a Peter Tägtgren tone. I don't know why but it's the most brutal metal guitar tone I've heard, just wicked. The bass tone on this record is also out of this world, most growly tone I've heard yet. I can upload a short sample if interested, the album is hard to find.

Nightrage - A new disease is born

Sybreed - Antares - just lush

The End of Heartache came to mind but... I actually have a clip here done by CJWall on his Fireball that absolutely slays it. I couldn't believe it, but it really is the case. Makes TEoH sound flat and weak in comparison.