Your very *favourite* rhythm guitar sound?

I used to have a sweet Mark III, non-simulclass head. Man, what a sweet amp. Rackmount, 6L6, I regret selling it.

On topic: It's really hard to pick one...I like to many different styles of music. For metal, I'd say Opeth has some of my favorite tone.

-Joe

In no particular order....

Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
In Flames - Clayman
The Crown - Possessed 13

metal:
carnal forge: testify for my victims
scar symmetry: pitch black progress
the haunted: revolver

also, bloodbath: resurrection through carnage is def. a runner up!

and who could forget: inflames: clayman, parkway drive: horizons, nonpoint has a bitchin guitar sound! dt: accelerated evolution. ziltoid the omniscient ...

In Flames - Clayman. Works perfectly on that exact album, but I don't think the exact same tone would fit to most modern metal.
KSE - The End of Heartache. For a general (some might say boring), sure-bet rhythm tone this one is one of my favourites. Thick and smooth but still punchy.
Chimaira - Resurrection. Probably my most favourite rhythm guitar tone ever. So clear and aggressive without sounding too raw.

...Chimaira - Resurrection. Probably my most favourite rhythm guitar tone ever. So clear and aggressive without sounding too raw.

I was waiting for you to chime in here with this one. :) Your own guitar sound is heavily based on this. (and it's a great tone I might add!)

KSE-AOJB or EOH

Meshuggah-Destroy Erase Improve

Soilwork-Stabbing The Drama

Chimaira-The Impossibility Of Reason

and last but not least.....
Iced Earth-Horror Show

I'm realizing my favorite tones are more on the crunchy side of things, with less of the typical Peavey-esque saturation, so here are some of my favorite examples:

Opeth - Ghost Reveries (you know me all too well Kryspies :D)
Decapitated - The Negation (what a fucking BARK to that tone, jesus)
Behemoth - The Apostasy (bar none the biggest, ballsiest tone on planet Earth, and THE definitive Recto cab sound as far as I'm concerned, sorry TGE)

Well, here goes:

Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Obituary - Cause of Death
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick (this one's pretty weird with all the flanging stuff going on, and it's a Marshall JCM 900 for fuck's sake (you know, all those diodes pissing off the tube purists) but to me it sits up there with the best of them)

Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick (this one's pretty weird with all the flanging stuff going on, and it's a Marshall JCM 900 for fuck's sake (you know, all those diodes pissing off the tube purists) but to me it sits up there with the best of them)

I don't like the mix that much, but guitars really sound good and big. I love Marshalls, I just wish the modern bands would use good old Marshalls on their albums instead of always the Engl/5150/Mesa-stuff

I've already asked myself that question years ago when searching for reference sounds for mixing my band's last album.

On close listen I noticed that there's actually very few tones that I REALLY like... though there are quite alot of tones where I think they "work for that style" or are "done well", there's only very few where there's nothing I would change, nothing to complain about, where I love every note thrown at me from the speakers.

So now I compared my list from back then with the new stuff I got and liked since then... to my surprise the list still hasn't changed.

Here's the top 3:
Dies Irae - Sculpture of Stone
Decapitated - The Fury
Behemoth - Demigod (sounds more clear and "in your face" to me than The Apostasy)

So what do I learn from this? I have to record my next album in POLAND!:worship:rock: