Your very *favourite* rhythm guitar sound?

Here's my picks:

Corrosion of Conformity: Blind (Vote with a Bullet was heavy as fuck!)
Judas Priest: British Steel
In Flames: Clayman
Carcass: Heartwork
Cathedral: Whatever album "Midnight Mountain" was on....
Fu Manchu: In Search of (also the heaviest live show I've ever seen... they sounded absolutely HUGE)
Kyuss: Blues for the Red Sun
Nevermore: TGE

I'm sure there's a million more I've overlooked...

..& my top 3 are:
Walls of Jericho-Devils amongst Us
Gorefest-Rise to Ruin
Cephalic Carnage-Xenosapien

First post! :wave:

I'll go with:

Mnemic - Mechanical Spin Phenomena
Diablo - Eternium
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait

Honorable mentions to In Absentia and The Great Cold Distance.

The absolute tone for me is the one created by Uffe Cederlund and popularized by Master Tomas Skögsberg (Entombed, Dismember, Grave, Asphyx and so on...), just awesome !

Eddie Van Halen - right from the debut tone he had in 1978. (IMO, everyone's tone since has been a variation of this)
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign in Blood

I like it too. A lot of people hate that sound though. Any wisdom you want to pass on from Bergstrand? :)

Yeah, they do. Which is a shame becuse I love it!

It was a few years ago, right after the album came out. At that time I wasn't very into recording (DOH :lol:) and I was mostly interested in the amps n stuff, which was a 5150 into a Marshall cab, I think a 1960 not sure, and a Big Muff. Don't know if the Big Muff was used like a TS or if they added anything to the sound with it.

It probably doesn't matter though, becuse it kinda sounds like one of those sounds which only Bergstrand can get, with his style of micing and mixing. The place were they recorded the stuff probably had an effect on the tone aswell. (A random danish mansion, with an improvised studio in it!)

Yeah, they do. Which is a shame becuse I love it!

It was a few years ago, right after the album came out. At that time I wasn't very into recording (DOH :lol:) and I was mostly interested in the amps n stuff, which was a 5150 into a Marshall cab, I think a 1960 not sure, and a Big Muff. Don't know if the Big Muff was used like a TS or if they added anything to the sound with it.

It probably doesn't matter though, becuse it kinda sounds like one of those sounds which only Bergstrand can get, with his style of micing and mixing. The place were they recorded the stuff probably had an effect on the tone aswell. (A random danish mansion, with an improvised studio in it!)

AFAIK they used iso-cabs, that might explain the ultradry, focused tone.

As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us

HUGE tone with a bit of boom that I feel still works with the mix. I just love the natural low-end palm-mutes give and I think this really succeeds and capturing the power of palm-mutes!

It's tough to pick just 3.

Here are mine:

God Forbid - Gone Forever - I think Eric Rachel did the tracking and mixing of this one, and to me it has the quintessential 5150/6505 tone. I can't remember if they used a 5150II or a regular 5150, but the tone on this album is probably my all time favorite tone from those series of amps

Metallica - Black Album - The rhythm guitart one on this album is the tone by which all others have been judged since. I'm by no means a Mesa fan, and I've never achieved a tone I personally like with my playing style or technique (or lack thereof), but this tone was revolutionary to me.

KsE - End of Heartache - Granted, there is a lot of low mid goop in the tone, but it still has just enough attack to it to keep it defined on the faster picked stuff, and give it a good edge for palm mutes. I'd also almost put the Daylight Dies tone up here with EoH, but it falls a little short. I actually like the top end attack on DD better, but as a whole, the tone on EoH wins out.

As a distortion addict it's hard to list just a couple but I have narrowed my list down to the following, in no particular order, probably leaving out several due to being tired:
Alice in Chains - Facelift
Morbid Angel - Covenant and Gateways to Annihilation
Carcass - Heartwork / Necroticism
Testament - Low
Nevermore - DHIADW
Arch Enemy - Doomsday
Fuge - Egg
Bulb - ( All )
Doobie Brothers - China Grove
Grave - Soulless
Annihilator - Never, Neverland / Alice in Hell
Greg Howe - Sound Proof
Pantera - CFH and Vulgar Display
Overkill - Horrorscope / Years of Decay / Immortalis
Sacrifice - Soldiers of Misfortune
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Anthrax - Sound of White Noise
Temple of the Dog - S/T
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Van Halen - Balance / F.U.C.K.
G n' R - Appetite for Destruction
Stone Temple Pilots - ( first album )
( )
Forbidden - Twisted into Form
Anacrusis - Screams and Whispers
Wrathchild America - 3-D
Souls at Zero - ( All of them )
Helmet - ( All of them )
Machine Head - Burn my Eyes / The Blackening
Sikth - Dead...
Gojira - ( All of them )
thefyn - 'Thrash in standard tuning'
lilhermiejimbo - ( his newer stuff )
Poidaboi - ( Most of it )
Opeth - Deliverance and Damnation through Watershed
Soilwork - ( Every album but Sworn to great Divide )
Exhorder - The Law
Gothic Slam - Just a Face in the Crowd
Cyclone Temple - I Hate Therefore I AM
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Paradox - Heresy
Job for a Cowboy - ( most of their albums )
Austrian Death Machine - Austrian Death Machine
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark, NOTB, AMOLAD
Steve Morse - Coast to Coast ( pretty much anyhting he plays on )
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
Brent Mason - ( Newer stuff )

Lately, I'm leanin towards the low gain stuff

Last edited by a moderator: