Your very *favourite* rhythm guitar sound?

As a distortion addict it's hard to list just a couple but I have narrowed my list down to the following, in no particular order, probably leaving out several due to being tired:
Cyclone Temple - I Hate Therefore I AM

Dude, you are awesome for mentioning Cyclone Temple. I actually did a gig here in Chicago with his current band a while back, and his tone is even awesome-r in person. Good guitarist and nice guy too.

!?

As much as I like that album.... :confused: :err: :puke:

I love how awful it is. I have a love/hate relationship with the 80's florida death metal sound. Like Exhorder, the first Deicide albums, etc. I wouldn't want that sound but it has it's place. I love tight, dry, articulate distortion and ultra shitty wet ones too.

Dude, you are awesome for mentioning Cyclone Temple. I actually did a gig here in Chicago with his current band a while back, and his tone is even awesome-r in person. Good guitarist and nice guy too.

I saw them at a club I worked at back in '93. They killed! Only found out last year about their current stuff. That dude is a awesome player.

Carcass-Heartwork
Metallica-Master Of Puppets
Anthrax-Persistence of Time
Arch Enemy-Wages of sin
Dark Angel-Time Does Not Heal
Into Eternity-Buried in Oblivion

As a distortion addict it's hard to list just a couple but I have narrowed my list down to the following, in no particular order, probably leaving out several due to being tired:
Sikth - Dead...
Gojira - ( All of them )
thefyn - 'Thrash in standard tuning'

Lately, I'm leanin towards the low gain stuff

YES! Great success!:kickass:

I'm beginning to realize that I probably don't belong on this forum because my tastes are a bit different than the majority of posters here. I'm not a fan of the Meshugga/Bulb/Fuge guitar sound. The tones sound very POD/plastic sounding to me. I'm a bigger fan of progressive metal bands in the veign of Dream Theater, but I enjoy a slightly heavier guitar tone than on most DT albums.

My favorite guitar tone hands down is Marco Sfogli's tone on James LaBrie's solo album Elements of Persuasion.

You Tube of Marco recording the album...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm beginning to realize that I probably don't belong on this forum because my tastes are a bit different than the majority of posters here. I'm not a fan of the Meshugga/Bulb/Fuge guitar sound. The tones sound very POD/plastic sounding to me. I'm a bigger fan of progressive metal bands in the veign of Dream Theater, but I enjoy a slightly heavier guitar tone than on most DT albums.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to think this forum is nothing but "djenty" tech-death extreme metal lovers, whereas my experience (as probably the most frequent poster here these days :lol: ) is quite the contrary, there's a huge mix of tastes, and that's what makes it so great! I for one love the EL34 tone, so you're not alone! And the quality of that video is balls awful, so I really can't tell a thing from it :erk:

My very 'favourite' rhythm guitar tones aren't ground breaking, as it would appear I have similar likes as most of you...and may I say y'all got GOOD taste!!
Picking just three is HARD!!

KSE-EOH
Nevermore-TGE
Pantera-Reinventing the steel

Cheesy tunes or not, IMHO John Sykes ruled on Whitesnakes 1987 release....

My favorite guitar tone hands down is Marco Sfogli's tone on James LaBrie's solo album Elements of Persuasion.

You Tube of Marco recording the album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN3GcCvZ9hM

I think you would LOVE this:

Derek Sherinian: Blood of the Snake

The title tune has some of the best tones/tunes for prog/fusion metal I have heard.

It is strange having Yngwie and Zakk playing but trust me, it is not the Zakk you are used to ryth wise. Tight and technical.