Your very *favourite* rhythm guitar sound?

I for one love the EL34 tone, so you're not alone! And the quality of that video is balls awful, so I really can't tell a thing from it :erk:

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone, but if I post something for people to judge my own tone, if they're expecting Meshugga, that's not my aim what so ever. So I guess criticism needs to be taken with a grain of salt here. Especially when people consider someone's tone like Marco's as "unsepecial".

Yeah, that vid is recorded with the cam mic, so it's NOT a good representation of the final tone, which was quad tracked by the way.

Another of my favorite tones is off DT's Awake, Recorded with the MKIIC+ and Mesa Dual Rectifier, combined.

I think you would LOVE this:

Derek Sherinian: Blood of the Snake

The title tune has some of the best tones/tunes for prog/fusion metal I have heard.

Yeah, I have that album and it's Petrucci playing that track. I guess for me, just about anything Petrucci does has incredible tone, I'm just tired of saying it over and over again. :(

I really dig tone on Train of Thought from Dream Theater, axes were dual tracked from what I know and the tone has sooo much balls in it.
Some other favs are:
TGE by Nevermore
The Blackening by Machine Head - This one is one of my very favs now, I love that ,,wooooshhh,, sound on palm mutes that is so exposed on this album.
And finally, Soulfly - Conquer , damn take a listen at Touching The Void for example, fuck, it has so MUCH balls it's not even funny! How it's possible to achieve THAT tone?!

YES, Train of Thought sounds fucking incredible - I never thought Awake's tone was all that spectacular, it ranges from average to downright revolting in the beginning of "Lie" (channeling the Hetfield tone there, and to me, that is NOT a good thing :ick: ) And More than Ever, you seem to have read part of my post, but not all - I was saying that by no means does everybody expect and worship a Meshuggah tone, in fact, I think those people are the minority; I really feel there's no bias here towards one type of tone or another (well, not entirely, crunchy tones don't seem to be in, but the awesome thing about this place is that people will appreciate them for what they are, even if they don't personally like it).

The Ocean- Precambrian(VH4 and 5150 FTW!!!!)
Godforbid- Gone Forever or Constitution of Treason(they are pretty similar, very raw 5150 sound)
Gojira- From Mars to Sirius

I also loved Whiplash (the band's) tone.

Sounded Marshally but almost single coil type twang to it.

And the ultimate in gain/scoop/fizz/awesomeness:

I wish you could hear it via a decent link...It is like a cross between Wake up Dead and Mourning has Broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Fyn, that second video was tolerable though not my thing, but that first vid might be the worst thing I've ever heard - I couldn't even get more than 35 seconds into it :yuk:

Wow Fyn, that second video was tolerable though not my thing, but that first vid might be the worst thing I've ever heard - I couldn't even get more than 35 seconds into it :yuk:

:headbang::puke:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoyMwi34rkQ&feature=related[/ame]

:headbang::headbang::headbang::puke:

I am not surprised you hate it. Your clips are massively mid heavy and the stuff I like is the opposite. Scooped mids is a dirty word on all amp forums but I embrace it in a shameful kinky way.

Ion Dissonance - Minus the Herd
Even though it's really downtuned, it's very crunchy and clear and awesome. Apparently a JCM800 and a 6505+ blended.

Dir en Grey - Uroboros
Their older albums had a very raw production, but Marrow of a Bone was a big improvement. I haven't yet listened to Uroboros a lot as it just came out, but it sounds even better than MOAB. Kaoru likes to use vh4's and I can tell that it's been used here too.

Meshuggah
They always nail it in some way. Also my favourite metal band by far.

Hey everyone. My first post on this site, awesome site btw!
My three would have to be
1 Carcass - Heartwork
2 Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind (Love that sound, something really dark about it, would love to know what equipment was used)
3 Entombed - Clandestine

In no particular order:

Carcass - Heartwork: Pretty much sold me on buying a 5150. Still love the tone even after all these years (and is easily obtained by just owning a 5150 IMO).

Tragedy - s/t: Really crunchy and dark, but still bright enough to tell what's going on.

Meshuggah - Contradictions collapse/none: Super tight and punchy.

Honorable mentions: any band using a Boss HM-2 pedal (entombed, dismember, etc). Love that swedish tone.