Your very *favourite* rhythm guitar sound?

I can see why you'd like it! I think as far as stand-alone sounds it's really cool and unique, but the rest of the mix suffers for it, which I don't think is right. The mix tends to become ALL guitars with a bit of drums, or forces the drums to be super-compressed to poke through (as is the case in the Devildriver record). Then the vox have to be all mid-boosted and dry to come out..... Doesn't work for me as a whole!

I can see why you'd like it! I think as far as stand-alone sounds it's really cool and unique, but the rest of the mix suffers for it, which I don't think is right. The mix tends to become ALL guitars with a bit of drums, or forces the drums to be super-compressed to poke through (as is the case in the Devildriver record). Then the vox have to be all mid-boosted and dry to come out..... Doesn't work for me as a whole!

Thank you for posting this, I was thinking EXACTLY the same. I was always under the impression I'm nuts that it has this awkward lowmid mud to it since everybody seems to love that tone to death, agreed it's fat + I think the bass has to be equalized weirdly to fit.

Hard to choose only 3, but let's go:
Nevermore - DHIADW
Diablo - Eternium / Icaros (same kind)
Fear Factory - Edgecrusher on Obsolete album.

Sure. Here you are: http://www.esnips.com/doc/0fd4b318-4794-4ce8-9507-ac23d25e6002/11-9-06-DFHx---Song-1-Idea

I compared directly just before. To me it sounds clearer, whereas TEoH always had too much muddy low-mid (not as much as Devildriver's 'TLKW' though).

Thanks. Hmm. Clearer but the mix itself is a tad muddy? And mastered way too loud, it's clipping/distoring a lot but CJ used to do that...

I loved his "Walking over your sea" clip though. The bass is HUGE there.
And the Fireball clip with Guitarhacks Impulses was huge too, it made Machinated's keyboard swim in cum :lol:

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (I love those palm mutes in Slaughtered 2.20")
Metallica - Black Album (what a godly tone after those snare hits in the beginning of Wherever I May Roam!)
DevilDriver - The Fury Of Our Makers Hand (tight,punchy,cutting..)

Dime did have a great chunk. Don't you guys feel that tone is quite a bit buzzy though? My fave of his is Reinventing the Steel. Has more body and less 'bzzzzz'.

I believe that Dimebag's tone fits well only for Pantera, either because of the whole production or the songs. I also think that the more aggressive songs Pantera wrote through the years (Cowboys to Trendkill) the more aggressive was Dimebag's guitar tone. Yeah, Reinventing the Steel has the most "organic" guitar sound compared to their earlier releases.

Anyway, as we can see, everything is a matter of taste, and because of the "only 3" limit, lots of great guitar sounds cannot be in our list!!!

Only 3? Hmmm...this is hard.

1. Nevermore - Godless Endeavor
2. Masterplan - Aeronautics
3. and something different...George Lynch/Dokken - Back For The Attack (HUGE influence on my guitar playing)

If I WAS allowed more choices, I'd mention more Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Scar Symmetry, and Masterplan albums. But since I'm not allowed to mention them, I won't. ;)

Hard to pick just 3 but let's say in no particular order:

Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Chimaira - Resurrection (the beginning of Needle slays)
Despised Icon - The Ills Of Modern Man

Took me some time to put this list together...a few years ago I would say without much hesitation that my favourites are Skinlab - Looks Can Be Deceiving, Stamping Ground - A New Darkness Upon Us, Subcyde - 2005 demo (the one with Hollow Death)

Only 3, goddamn... let me see:

-Carcass - Heartwork
-Nevermore - DHIADW
-Machine Head - the More Things Change (productionwise, it still sounds "fresh" after over a decade.)

actually that's one of my absolute favourite productions overall atm :)