String gauge help

Brakk

May 15, 2007
Ive been pretty much using Ernie ball super light gauge strings my whole life, and I'm ready to get rid of that cheap sound from the higher strings. What type of strings will give me a good solid sound on the G B and E strings that I could get on ebay?

Thanks

I use 10s, and I have no problem with them. They give me a good chuggy sound when needed, without sounding too deep when playing clean. 10s are good. Local guitar stores are recommended.

i use d'addario 11's.

a couple things to consider:
what kind of tone you want- you brought that up already.
tuning- i use thicker gauge strings to keep tension on low tunings. since i only tune to D, i use 11's

and yeah, i dont like ernie ball. ive used ghs and d'addario. i prefer d'addario
~gR~

Thanks guys, Ill try out D'Addario's.
And Ill step up from the light gauge, trying the new tone

Is this good?
a284_1.JPG

Am I the only one who thinks all string brands are the same? Give me a guitar strung with EBs and another strung with D'addarios and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I certainly wouldn't say EB's are 'not the best', they're just another brand option.

But back on topic, I would recommend 10's if you're using standard tuning. Prepare for some sore fingers initially though!

Am I the only one who thinks all string brands are the same? Give me a guitar strung with EBs and another strung with D'addarios and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I certainly wouldn't say EB's are 'not the best', they're just another brand option.

A lot of strings are the same. Actually, there are a lot of brands whose strings are made in the same factory the same way and just have different packaging. There are differences between other string brands, though. I like DR myself.

if your following my advice, than not quite. Those are guaged .11's/I suggested .10's. But then again, do you know what size your looking for.
edit:at braak

I dont know what size im looking for, Ive been using Ernie ball super splinkys and I think the tone has always sucked but it grew on me. I thought the gauge of the string effected the thickness of the tone and well, I sorta want thicker but dont know which gauge I should step for?

go up in stages, if you are staying in standard e then you dont need .11 stay with .09 or .10, also try a "pure nickel" string it will give you a warmer fuller tone. i suggest DR, or fender 150's.

I got .10 D'addarios and they are sooo much better than the Ernie ball super slinkys, damnit. If I ever did tremolo on the low e string with super slinky it sounded like a cat dying but it sounds nice and warm with d'addarios. Im still getting that cheap sound with the higher strings though. Or does this have to do with the guitar wood? Im using an alder bodied Jackson

For ex: On "Slit your guts" by Crytopsy, how could I manage to get the same tone as that on the higher notes? It sounds good on the e a and d strings, but the g string makes it sound really cheap.. I have a really big feeling it has to do with the pickups though but Im inexperienced

thanks a lot