String gauge help

I got .10 D'addarios and they are sooo much better than the Ernie ball super slinkys, damnit. If I ever did tremolo on the low e string with super slinky it sounded like a cat dying but it sounds nice and warm with d'addarios. Im still getting that cheap sound with the higher strings though. Or does this have to do with the guitar wood? Im using an alder bodied Jackson

For ex: On "Slit your guts" by Crytopsy, how could I manage to get the same tone as that on the higher notes? It sounds good on the e a and d strings, but the g string makes it sound really cheap.. I have a really big feeling it has to do with the pickups though but Im inexperienced

thanks a lot
Well, that amp isn't gonna give you a professional guitar sound. Your fingers also may be a problem - keep practicing.

Nah, its not my fingers. I play the string open and get the same sound

And yeah.. its more of the amp than the pickups? Im just using the Jackson humbuckers that came with the guitar

Nah, its not my fingers. I play the string open and get the same sound

And yeah.. its more of the amp than the pickups? Im just using the Jackson humbuckers that came with the guitar

Well, I doubt the pick-ups are helping. The amp will make more of a difference than the pick-ups, in my experience, but both will make a significant different in your sound.

Thanks guys, Ill try to do some research around here to find what kind of amp I should start saving for

Tube amp.
Beyond that, it doesn't really matter - any decent tube amp will solve your problems. But Marshall, Engl, Krate, and Orange are all worth looking into. Understand it'll be pricey.

Tube amp.
Beyond that, it doesn't really matter - any decent tube amp will solve your problems. But Marshall, Engl, Krate, and Orange are all worth looking into. Understand it'll be pricey.

I'd rather have a nice solid state amp than a shitty tube amp.

Here are some good budget amp heads ( prices listed are average used price on eBay or Craigslist )

ENGL Fireball $850
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier $900
Peavey 5150 $600
Mesa Boogie Mark III $800
VHT Deliverance 60 $900
Line 6 HD147 $700

Each of these will do metal very well.

i like my solid state ISP better than any tube amp they had at GC when i made the purchase. i would love to have a bogner uberschall though
~gR~

I'd rather have a nice solid state amp than a shitty tube amp.

Here are some good budget amp heads ( prices listed are average used price on eBay or Craigslist )

ENGL Fireball $850
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier $900
Peavey 5150 $600
Mesa Boogie Mark III $800
VHT Deliverance 60 $900
Line 6 HD147 $700

Each of these will do metal very well.

Well, yeah, I said "any decent tube amp."
Fireball and a Vader is supposed to be a pretty great combo, for a 2 x 12 cab it would cost about $1250 or so.

What about Blue Steel?
Those are the frozen ones right? In my experience all of the cryogenic (elixir etc.) strings suck. To me they seem rather dark (although they claim to be "brilliant" lol), but I don't really have any experience with Dean Markley specifically.

I do think there's a difference between brands tho in sound and durability. To my ear, EBs have more overall punch, but tend to break more. GHS to me seem by far the brightest (almost ridiculously so at first) and last a very long time. I use D'addarios cause I like combination of overall sound (with really complex harmonic overtones), and in my experience they are very hard to break even with my Jem's Floyd Rose.