strings

daulton

Jun 25, 2007
Which GHS Gauge Strings do you prefer? Right now I have a Set of Zakk Wylde Boomers and those strings fucked up my guitar good. I think I might need to get an intonation adjustment. The G strings on my Junior Les Paul though it's in tune, but when I pluck the string it sounds like it's out of tune. So do you think my Les Paul might need an intonation adjustment? As far as the GHS Boomers go I'm trying to decide if I want 10's custome light 10's or
9's What do you think?

Whenever you change string brand, gauge, or even line within a brand, the instrument may need the intonation and perhaps the truss rod adjusted.

Essentially a full setup. If you have a Les Paul fixing the intonation should be easy enough. Learn how to do it yourself and save some cash.

Trem equipped guitars are a pain in the ass to readjust because not only do you have to adjust the intonation, perhaps the neck, but you also may have to adjust the tremelo claw to balance the tensions. Tweak, tune, test, tweak, tune, test, tweak, tune, test..........

If they sound decent on what you can play maybe it is worth dialing them in. If the tone sucks ass, toss them.

I put GHS Boomers on a bass once and the very next day bought something else. They were all boom and bright with no midrange. :puke:

Strings are such a personal choice you may need to go through a bunch before you find ones to your liking.

Jim

My BC Rich Warlock developed a small crack in the neck....nothing major just where they overlay the truss rod canal at the very top end the thinnest piece of wood you can imagine!!!

But i think this was because I put guage 12's on it, its royally screwed my floyd rose too so much so that I refuse to buy a none fixed bridge guitar now.

My advice is to take it into a decent shop, ask them to restring it and set it up. then ask them what guage the strings are. Keep to them. You probably wont go wrong from then on, but a little bit of basic maintenance is a must for any guitar owner.

My Personal choices in strings are either Ernie ball super slinky's or D'addario. I've never felt the need to use anything else.

If you play a lot, it doesn't hurt to get a full set up every year. The intonation fix will be included. I use Eric who does Tools guitars and some others. He's in LA. Here's his website. A fantastic guy! http://www.ericsguitarshop.com/
I think it was $75.

i use 9z and 10z for tuning down a half step. i've found it's much easier to stick with the standard gauge 9/42. even when i change from 9z to 10z with my charvel's floating rose i don't have to reintonate or jack with the springs cuz the tension still evens out. one time i got the fatties for a tour which after a couple shows wore away the nut on my sg and rendered it useless right before a show. boo! yeah check yer nut - maybe the g string is binding on it.

Do you use Eric too? Earvana huh?

You can just go to his shop and go in the back room and plug into his amp and play and hang out. When I'm there is tells me to stop by anytime just to say what's up and he barely knows me. He's such a good guy. I highly recommend him for all your guitar hardware needs.