Structured, hook-laden death metal...

arg

Jun 4, 2008
...like Behemoth? They are the first death metal band I like so far and need to hear some similar bands. Bands that arent just about nonstop double-bass.

I like songs that have catchy riffs everywhere, that slow down and get really badass and groovy sometimes, maybe occasional black metal backup vocals, high-pitched wailing guitar solos, etc. But definitely awesome in speed and heaviness.

Any recommendations will be appreciated. Only death metal please. :headbang:

Try some Bloodbath. Maybe some tech death? Try Necrophagist, Decapitated, The Faceless, Braindrill.

...like Behemoth? They are the first death metal band I like so far and need to hear some similar bands. Bands that arent just about nonstop double-bass.

I like songs that have catchy riffs everywhere, that slow down and get really badass and groovy sometimes, maybe occasional black metal backup vocals, high-pitched wailing guitar solos, etc. But definitely awesome in speed and heaviness.

Any recommendations will be appreciated. Only death metal please. :headbang:

Behemoth takes alot of influence from Morbid Angel. I would get their first three albums.

Warning: monster post.

This post is long even for me, but I was introduced to death metal through Behemoth, too, so I feel obliged to help out!

'k, so, I'll recommend you some bands and albums that I really enjoyed in the early days (and for the most part, still do):

-Nile. While not stylistically all that similar to Behemoth, they definately have some "catchy" songs, and similar production. Most people I know who like Behemoth enjoy Nile, and vice versa. Recommended starting album: Annihalation of the Wicked. Listen to the title track for full Nile-ness; Lashed to the Slave Stick is a good example of their shorter tunes.

-Bloodbath. "Resurrection Through Carnage" has the vocalist from Opeth and "Nightmares Made Flesh" has the vocalist from Hypocrisy, two bands that most new metalheads love, so it stands to reason that these guys are popular. Resurrection is a bit Sunlight-Studios-ish in its production style, but Nightmares is very clean. There really isn't a bad place to begin; I'd recommend sampling both LPs just to hear the slightly different styles and vox. They also have an excellent pair of EPs availible, "Breeding Death" and "Unblessing the Purity."

-Skinless! I still love these guys. While perhaps a bit more brutal than Behemoth, they are the epitome of your request (catchy riffs, songs that "slow down and get really badass and groovy," a few different pitches of vocals). Their only REALLY good album is Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead, although the one before (From Sacrifice to Survival) that is alright. Listen to A Unilateral Disgust and Execution of Reason to get an idea of how these guys sound.

-Suffocation. I find that their good stuff is mostly on the early releases (Human Waste through Pierced From Within) so the production will not be quite as clean as the bands mentioned above. Give them a shot, I guarantee you'll warm to them eventually. Possibly the best DM band of all time, in my opinion. I'd suggest getting Pierced From Within, although Effigy of the Forgotten is also badass. Infecting the Crypts, Seeds of the Suffering from the latter and Thrones of Blood and Liege of Inveracity from the former are good samples of their badassery.

-Morbid Angel. I actually didn't get into these guys for a little while, but they're great and perhaps you'll get into them more readily; try Covenant, see what you think. God of Emptiness and Rapture are two cool tracks, although the former isn't exactly fast-paced.

-Also, while not death metal per se, I think you might like Anaal Nathrakh's "Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here." It's catchy but also pretty brutal, with elements of both black and death- since you mentioned not minding BM vocals, I'd suggest picking it up. Check out the track The Final Absolution.

Man i just know what u want cause i want more for me too hahahahahaaa ...

Bloodbath - all da albums and EPs
Nile - ''Annihilation Of The Wicked'' will help u to get into them
Sarpanitum - ''Despoilment Of Origin'' if u want something exactly like Behemoth
Blood Red Throne - ''Altered Genesis'' Great riffy album

Lost Soul is similar to Behemoth and also Polish.

A few more:
Xenomorph - Necrophilia Mon Amour
Adramelech - Pure Blood Doom
Dãm - The Difference Engine
Perfidy Biblical - Born
Soulreaper - Life Erazer
Dawn Of Dreams - Darklight Awakening
The Monolith Deathcult - The White Crematorium

:headbang:
Warning: monster post.

This post is long even for me, but I was introduced to death metal through Behemoth, too, so I feel obliged to help out!

'k, so, I'll recommend you some bands and albums that I really enjoyed in the early days (and for the most part, still do):

-Nile. While not stylistically all that similar to Behemoth, they definately have some "catchy" songs, and similar production. Most people I know who like Behemoth enjoy Nile, and vice versa. Recommended starting album: Annihalation of the Wicked. Listen to the title track for full Nile-ness; Lashed to the Slave Stick is a good example of their shorter tunes.

-Bloodbath. "Resurrection Through Carnage" has the vocalist from Opeth and "Nightmares Made Flesh" has the vocalist from Hypocrisy, two bands that most new metalheads love, so it stands to reason that these guys are popular. Resurrection is a bit Sunlight-Studios-ish in its production style, but Nightmares is very clean. There really isn't a bad place to begin; I'd recommend sampling both LPs just to hear the slightly different styles and vox. They also have an excellent pair of EPs availible, "Breeding Death" and "Unblessing the Purity."

-Skinless! I still love these guys. While perhaps a bit more brutal than Behemoth, they are the epitome of your request (catchy riffs, songs that "slow down and get really badass and groovy," a few different pitches of vocals). Their only REALLY good album is Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead, although the one before (From Sacrifice to Survival) that is alright. Listen to A Unilateral Disgust and Execution of Reason to get an idea of how these guys sound.

-Suffocation. I find that their good stuff is mostly on the early releases (Human Waste through Pierced From Within) so the production will not be quite as clean as the bands mentioned above. Give them a shot, I guarantee you'll warm to them eventually. Possibly the best DM band of all time, in my opinion. I'd suggest getting Pierced From Within, although Effigy of the Forgotten is also badass. Infecting the Crypts, Seeds of the Suffering from the latter and Thrones of Blood and Liege of Inveracity from the former are good samples of their badassery.

-Morbid Angel. I actually didn't get into these guys for a little while, but they're great and perhaps you'll get into them more readily; try Covenant, see what you think. God of Emptiness and Rapture are two cool tracks, although the former isn't exactly fast-paced.

-Also, while not death metal per se, I think you might like Anaal Nathrakh's "Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here." It's catchy but also pretty brutal, with elements of both black and death- since you mentioned not minding BM vocals, I'd suggest picking it up. Check out the track The Final Absolution.

sorry man didn't notice ur great post:headbang::headbang:
BTW i need the best Skinless album to get into them ... and for Anaal Nathrakh i need album is pure brutal cause sometimes the vocal screams like a goat fucking annoyin' man.....

@haze: Genetic Noose uses primarily brutal vox (guest vocalist, actually, from a BDM band), so you might enjoy that track.

I would definitely have to recommend to you Panzerchrist's "Roomservice" album. It sounds like it's basically what you're looking for.

Also maybe check out Drawn and Quartered or My Darkest Hate.

Panzerchrist (fan-made video, they have better songs btw)

Drawn and Quartered

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, thanks guys. I've got lots of work to do! :heh:

Centinex ~Decadence - Prophecies Of Cosmic Chaos,World Declension
Bloodbath ~Nightmares Made Flesh,Unblessing The Purity
Unleashed ~Sworn Allegiance,Midvinterblot,Hammer Battalion
Kaamos ~Lucifer Rising
Nominon ~Recremation,Terra Necrosis
Morbid Angel ~Domination
Evocation ~Tales From The Tomb

Oh and Zyklon, Crionics and Belphegor might be along the right lines. Of all the bands mentioned in the thread I'd say Zyklon are by far the closest sounding to Behemoth.

Dying Fetus sounds EXACTLY what you're looking for. I'd try their album Destroy the Opposition.