STRYPER 10/21 ATL ROLLCALL!

It was an awesome show! This was the 3rd time I'd seen them, and in some ways, they were better this time than before. The crowd was probably about 90% Christian and the room was at least 80-85% full. Not too many drinkers last night, image that! Oh well, more for the rest of us. I've been a fan of this band since 1986, and they haven't lost a step! It was great to see Tim Gaines back on bass, as well! You guys missed an awesome spirit-filled show!

Paul, what band are you talking about, Stryper?

~Brian~
Maybe it was Flight Patterns? I thought I caught a whiff of weed in the air at one point. It happens at many shows I attend. It's not unusual to smell marijuana in tha air! It's not unusual to get a contact high from anywhere!

do they still throw out bibles at their show? My manager was talking about that the other day, saying he really doesn't care about Stryper or religion for that matter - but he just wants to get a bible that Stryper threw out to the audience to say he got one. Apparently he views it as a collectible.

The bibles aren't worth very much. It's just a small New Testament with a Stryper sticker on it. A friend of mine bought two of them at Cornerstone Fest in 2000 for 5 bucks each. I do find it amusing how people feel compelled to qualify themselves with the old"I'm not religous or anything, but.." when referring to a band like Stryper. I just have a hearty chuckle when people do that.:lol:

It wouldn't matter at all to me whether it's true or not. Stryper are human beings, not angels. I did smell a hint of weed in the air at the show, but I don't know exactly who or where it came from. No big deal to me, though.

It wouldn't matter at all to me whether it's true or not. Stryper are human beings, not angels. I did smell a hint of weed in the air at the show, but I don't know exactly who or where it came from. No big deal to me, though.

Well, I didn't smell anything at the Knoxville show, nor did anyone from the band act or look remotely high. This band has always been a target for ridicule from the public. With that said, I don't believe for a minute that the Stryper guys sit around smoking pot. I would have a major problem with it if they did though.

~Brian~

One of the openers is Michael Sweet Jr's band... and I know Zak Steven's new band Machines of Grace warmed them up in Boston and Cleveland and he crowds loved them!
I honestly lost interest in Stryper around the time "Against The Law" came out. Having said that however, I still feel that "Soldiers Under Command" is one of their strongest albums, imho, as far as songwriting goes.

On this matter, I think he was trustworthy. If I'd known there was that much concern, I could have asked him earlier tonight at the Type O Negative show. I'll ask him next time I have a chance.

Thanks...how was Typo O? I didn't realize they were touring right now. I saw them way back in 94', but don't remember much about their set. They opened for Motley Crue, when John Corabi was fronting the band.

~Brian~

Their show here in Minneapolis was terrific! The venue was had these great balconies that were reserved for the fan club, family, etc. Our balcony was the closest to the stage but it actually hung above the stage so I was looking down onto the band the whole night. It was a really different experience, and a great one at that.

I still didn't catch one of the bibles, but my friend did. I guess I'd only want it for a keepsake rather than for what the band intends when they throw them out, so I'd feel kinda bad getting one. I should have just asked them for one after the show, or bought one at Cornerstone 2000 (or was it 2001 when they played?) At any rate, it was cool to see them again and to see how they've evolved into (like someone said) a very well-oiled machine. They sounded amazing and put on a show that was never boring, silly, preachy, whatever ppl complain about... They are all very talented and very nice guys. Robert Sweet especially. One of the nicest guys I've ever met!

The opener, Flight Patterns, is Michael Sweet's son's band. I didn't get to hear them play but they were cool kids, Mike Sweet Jr in particular. I think Mike Sr brought the band on the road to help his son keep active and not dwell on his mother's very recent death. I read an interview with Michael Sr that said he is coping by keeping busy and working hard. Also that his kids are taking it very hard. It was clearly written all over Michael Jr's face the entire night that he was still troubled but it was also obvious that he'd much rather be on the road and working than sitting at home depressed. So while the band might have been a weird fit for the show at least there's a pretty good reason for them to be on the tour. I agree that having another act like Narnia or Impellitteri would have been a terrific bonus!

On to the pot thing. If the smell was in there already that night maybe they just stirred the air as they walked by. I've had friends ask if I've been smoking again because they catch a scent of cigarettes when I walk through the crowd. We're out at venues for shows where tons of people smoke all the time. I simply tell them they are mistaken because there is no way I would ever pick the habit up again. I think there's a difference between catching a quick airborne scent vs. a person clearly reeking of the odor. ((what a weird thing to be writing about on a forum)) I guess I just don't want people to think too much of it since this just "stinks" of bad rumor funk. Unless someone saw them all toking up like crazy, it's a non-issue.

I guess I just don't want people to think too much of it since this just "stinks" of bad rumor funk. Unless someone saw them all toking up like crazy, it's a non-issue.

I agree. I'd have to see these guys light up, before I believe they're sitting around toking. I've met them before and they most certainly don't come across like they're high. You're right, Robert Sweet is a very down to earth guy that genuinly likes his music. Very cool! Christians will always be taking it on the chin from the general public. It just comes with the territory.

~Brian~

I thought the general public was Christian? (the major religion of here in the USA anyway). Not trying to start anything, just curious.

I thought the general public was Christian? (the major religion of here in the USA anyway). Not trying to start anything, just curious.

I don't know for sure, but I think most people claim to believe in God or a higher being. At least I've seen stats that have supported that over the years. With that said, that doesn't necessarily make you a Christian though.

~Brian~