Stuck with vocals in a mix

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
I'm really stuck with the vocals in my latest mix (a cover of Replica by Fear Factory), no matter what I try I just can't get them to 'fit'. I've found a good level for them but they still sound too 'alone', they don't blend in very well (to my ears anyway).

Anyone got any reccomendations? I've tried reverb, but none of the tweaking I have tried so far has helped at all.

Here's a clip of the track Replica, I threw it up on Geocities so if the link doesn't work replace us.share with www and it should be ok.

Drums and bass(which is probably in-audible on most speakers) were programmed. BFD (Ludwig kit) was used for main cymbals & snare, lm-4 used for blended snare, kick sample (5-minutes alone) triggered with halion. Vocals were recorded with an SM57. Guitars are a les paul copy w/1974 Gibson P.A.F p/ups and jazz-wound 13's through, you guessed it, a POD XT (Spinal Puppet).

Any help with the vocals would be greatly appreciated (I'm personally happy with the overall mix, but if anyone has any suggestions I'll take them into consideration)

Try to apply a reverb with a Early reflexions/Reverb balance parameter. Cut the reverb and keep the early reflexions only. Tweak the room size/shape util you find something that match with the overall mix. An high pass filter can also be useful on the FX return. The old Waves trueverb can achieve some interesting results by doing this.
Hope this helps.

Just listened the clip. Obviously vocals need more compression and a low mid cut. You can also distort it a bit to make them sounding more aggressive.

mmm in my opinion the problem is not about eq, reverb, etc, try to do it again many times as you can, put more guts on it!!! that voice sounds like mmm control it and has no emotions dont try to be Burton just be yourself and make your own replica, as always many people say when a track is well done, sounds cool flat and without any process