Studio Chairs (armrest or not)

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
So, no I´m not spending 800 bucks on an Aeron, I wish I could. I´m going for a cheap one, at least for now, but my doubt is:

For you guys who often record yourselves, should I buy one with armrests or not? Cause obviously it´s more comfortable when mixing or whatever, but it´s really uncomfortable for playing. So I don´t know if you actually don´t buy one with an armrest, or have both for when you´re playing?

it really depends on the chair itself, i had one with armrests for a couple of years, which was a pita to sit on and play guitar, so i took a saw and cutted them of, lol.
but then and after a long session, when you are tired (or drunk), armrests are very very comfortable, otherwise it can happen you fall of your chair

now i have the hm aeron, lol.. .. with armrests, and its not problem to sit and to play, as you can angle the armrests too and the armrests are not that long.

best is to go to a local store, and try out a few.. and perhaps you will find a nice one that has shorter armrests, or some that can pull up/down (you know, like the ones in trains or aeroplains)

Why don't get two chairs? One chair for tracking without armrests and one for all the other sitting activities.

After your ears, your spine is the most important thing. Most of us would be sitting at a PC for 8+ hours a day. I work a generic office job (8-10 hours in front of a PC), then come home and sit here for 4-5 hours reading/jamming/whatever.

There's a reason why you don't spend cheaply on a bed (1/3rd of your life asleep!), and same concept should go for a chair in which you will spend ~33% of your day in. Save those pennies up, dude.

After your ears, your spine is the most important thing. Most of us would be sitting at a PC for 8+ hours a day. I work a generic office job (8-10 hours in front of a PC), then come home and sit here for 4-5 hours reading/jamming/whatever.

There's a reason why you don't spend cheaply on a bed (1/3rd of your life asleep!), and same concept should go for a chair in which you will spend ~33% of your day in. Save those pennies up, dude.

This man is wise. Heed his words.

I have a nice comfy stool for guitaring on, and an ultra beefy leather chair for the desk. Glorious.

I had a normal desk chair with the armrests and comfy back, and one day i sat down... SNAP! ...I go flying backwards, one armrest snaps in half, the back snaps the other one from the base... sat back down, and thought "hey, this is pretty nice". Now i don't hit my arms against anything when playing.
My girlfriend wanted to buy me a new one, but i think I'm good the way it is....

.....Although it isn't that comfy for masturbating.

I stupidly got one of those big office style chairs a few years ago, which was quite comfy, but not for really long periods. The problem I had with them armrest was it actually made the tip of my little finger go numb, I guess I was resting on a nerve.

I changed over to a smaller chair with a straight/ridged backpeice, its much more comfortable to spend long hours in, and my finger got back to normal within a week or 2, although it doesn't look as cool.

Yeah, that's my studio chair story

No sofa/bed/futon/ect in the room? Could always just grab the dinning room chair. ;)

That's what I've been doing since I moved here :lol:

Luckily for me my job is the opposite of being on my ass all day, I'm standing up 90% of the workday, so it's not like I'm sitting down thaaat much, but of course the point some of you make is perfectly valid, I guess I'll have to make sure I get a good one, but still not a chance I'll get one of those 1000 euro chairs :tickled: thanks for the advice! ...and stories

arm rest..When people are tracking your just chillen.. get a stool or stand up when you track

Mine's got armrest's and with the way I sit they dont get in the way of the guitar at all...maybe I've trained myself for it but its really no nuisance at all. My chair is ultra comfy all the time :)

Dont get too hung up on Aerons either,
They are not all that comfortable anyway, we have at least one and often more in almost every one of our 50 odd studios and they aren't anything special.

Go for a proper Chiropractic approved chair (Aerons are not) if you want the best comfort and support

Make sure you get a chair that's not too comfortable though. The chair I've been using for years is some super-crazy comfortable leather chair with really high armrests that I sort of inherited. Although feeling like the Godfather while trying to work is awesome, I sometimes feel like I'm too relaxed to be fully productive. Not to mention that it makes guitar playing nearly impossible without sitting all but an inch off the edge of the seat. If I ever get another chair it will definitely be more straight-backed and slightly less cushiony.

Ola seems to play fine with a chair that has armrests (considering he's an AMAZING guitarist...).