Studio Guitar?

I'm looking to pick up a standard axe for the studio soon. It will have to deal with different tunings and string gauges all the time so fixed bridge is a given.

Any recommendations on something than can handle all the different setups well. Would any one guitar say intonated better than others?

daveotero said:
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that from personal experience? I'm looking for a good bang for your buck ($500 - $700) that has a proven track records of being used in these circumstances.

Then Schecter is a perfect choice. They're perhaps the nicest thing you'll find under $800-1k.

If you have a strobe tuner kicking around, and you or someone else at your studio can handle some basic setup work, it should handle everything you can throw at it with no problems. The JB/'59 sets in some of the Schecter C1 models are good pickups that work well for a number of different styles. The necks on these are very nice as well; a good compromise between vintage-style necks and fast "shredder" types.

daveotero said:
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that from personal experience? I'm looking for a good bang for your buck ($500 - $700) that has a proven track records of being used in these circumstances.
Yup, I've got a 007 Blackjack personally (Seymour Duncan '59 / JB pickups)

yeah either schecter or jackson soloist. I'm not a big jackson fan but the fixed bridge soloist (maybe closer to a grand) are darn nice imo.

I like the ESP's for studio work, they have a great intonation(I think its the Earvana nut that does the trick).

Razorjack said:
A decent old Les Paul would be the best option for an all round good amp for rock/metal.

That's probably a bit over his budget, I would think. An unquestionably good choice, and would look great on his studio's gear list, but it's probably too pricey. He could probably pick up a used LP Studio for $700 without a problem, but the Studio's neck profile is decidedly on the "vintage" (read: giant slab of lumber) side. The Schecter has nicer tuners than the LP Studio, as well.