Studio Monitors

Hounddog666

New Metal Member
Jul 2, 2009
England, Liverpool
Im after a pair of studio monitors around £350, ive been looking at KrK Rokits and the Makie MR5's. IM going to be recording alot this summer which ranges from Death metal to Indie to Acoustic folk but i'll mainly be recording metal. A fired of mine is selling his Wharfdale diamond 8's for £120. Ive used the KRK Rokits before in my university and i do like them alot but does anybody have any ideas which monitors I should buy.

Bought the Yamaha HS50 this week, had the oppertunety to test em next to the KRK Rokits, heard of both brands different sizes.... blablababla... just listen to what those guys said :kickass:

Thanks for the help guys, but to be honest i dont no much about monitors so what are the main differences between the HS50 and HS80? and what should i be looking for when purchasing new monitors?

you MIGHT compensate for the percieved loss o low end by boosting the lows and possibly low mids, this MIGHT make your mix low end heavy and translate to a not so decent sound when translated to MP3 or CD for regular stereo systems

They're just speakers.. What's the room like? Big / Small / reverberant / dry?

the HS series will give you sounds that aren't flattering, or easy to work with. They're similar (but not really) to Ns10s in that way.
The low end on the Hs80s are due to their larger driver - but they also can get turned up higher due to a bigger power amp section. Sonically, the HS50s are pretty similar aside from the low end drop off.

I love my Hs80s simply because my mixes translate well through them. Cars / iPods / stereos etc. Double check on headphones though, just to make sure your iPod market will be kept happy.

If you're going to listen to speakers - take songs (high quality CDs or wavs) you know REALLY well and have a listen. Where in the mix is the high hat? Do the vocals sound abrasive or smooth compared to normal?

/meh

One thing many engineers say, some friends, others teachers, most just people on forums, that if you can get it to sund good on NS10's, you can get it to sound good anywhere, . now i don't see that as being 100% true, but damn close.

the HS80's as Noodles said, don't give you very flatering sounds, but if you can get the mix to sound good on those, it will sound good most anywhere else

Im basicly gonna be mixing in my bedroom and I will be treating it up soon but I may need some help on how to do that on the cheap. When I get back to my home address i will make another post pictures of the room and its measurements.

I no i siad the last question would be the last but I have to repeat one.

I am going to be recording a death metal band and thier guitar tuning is C standard and drop B so if I were to mix would this on HS50's would it over all mix be affected? I know Sepultorture answered this by saying I could boost the low end to compensate for this which does worry me a little.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Hey, sorry to bring this thread up but instead of writing a new thread i'd like to know what monitors have you chosen ?

I'm pratically in the same situation as you (recording a demo with my band at home, no treated rooms etc).

I'm either afraid of ending up with monitors that have no or not enough low ends (resulting in darker mixes) and having speakers that are not powerful enough or too powerful for the room that i'm in.

I've been searching forums and articles for some time now and a pair of yamaha hs80 is a bit above our budget but seem to be what i need (but i've found some disturbing stuff about the yamaha's aswell like this one for example http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/664675-why-everyone-buying-hs80ms.html )

I'm also looking into the samson's rubicon r6 and Prodipe pro 5... meh still hesitating... Don't seem to be a shop where i could listen to some aswell :/

The desk where we're recording and gonna be mixing isn't quite a bedroom. It's upstairs but still in the "entrance hall". You come in and you've got the stairs right at ya and the desk is located above the door... sort of. So it's bigger than a room and the ceiling is high above your head.

I'll be waiting for your advice :)