Studio Projects VTB1 preamp users need your urgent input!

VH100R

Jul 13, 2006
Porto, Portugal
I got one looking brand new for 50 euros.

I test drived the thing and liked the sound but I have 1 issue with it and need to confirm that with you guys.

I connected the guitar to the HI-Z input (front panel) and couldn't hear any sound on the output and the meters (input and output) weren't catching any signal. I checked the connections everything was fine.

I then pressed the Line In switch and voila... got the signal.

Now... is this supposed to work like that? I checked the manual and it didn't help...

Does this mean the HI-z input is fucked and only works in the Line-In mode (line level signals?)

I'm in kind of a hurry, because if the DI input is really busted I will return the thing to the owner.

Works the same on my Joemeek TwinQ DI input. Enable line in, DI signal automatically overrides any LINE in signals.

Seems like the normal thing to do, and if you're looking to unload, for 50 I'll take it off your hands :heh::oops:

The thing is... there's only one single input jack for both line/instrument. So I thought: switch up (DI) switch down (line level).

but with the switch down there's no signal.:erk:

Dude, it works for sure. Then again, what do you expect for a 130 euro piece. It works in my book from what you told me.

The line in button does not switch between line and mic levels but between the 1/4" in and the xlr in. At least I think so after checking a photo and the manual

The line in button does not switch between line and mic levels but between the 1/4" in and the xlr in. At least I think so after checking a photo and the manual

ok that was the info I was looking for. Although the manual is not exactly clear about that.

I was wondering because almost every preamp/interface has a switch or different 1/4" input jacks for both instrument DI or Line Level signal.

As an example the firepod's INPUTS 1 and 2 have the DI/XLR combo jack on the front and to use this input for line level (connecting a guitar preamp as an example) you have to connect it at the back.

Which isn't the case with the VTB1. Both signals connect to the same 1/4" which is odd, unless the unit adapts electronically to the signal is being feed, which I doubt.

I hope I'm not being boring but just want to clear this out with someone with the same unit.

does anybody have a problem with the di input being too hot ?

even when the gain turned all the way down my guitars distorts the input on the VTB1, so I have to use a D.I. box en go thru the mic input...

looks like a mistake in the design ?