Stupid Question about Pod Farm.

Sep 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
i had a bad experience a long time ago with pod farm, so i just gave up and started to mess around with my pod xt pro. I've been getting really really nice tones out of my pod xt. I want to start messing around with pod farm again because i've been hearing a lot of powerful tones coming from it. Now here's the question..:confused:...When you want to apply Pod Farm to your guitar tracks, do you put in on each individual guitar track, or just on the guitar bus? Sorry in advance for the newb question :eek:

Record a Wet and Dry signal through Podfarm standalone. Then when reamping I insert podfarm vst insert on the DI, usually about 4 - 8 instances. But my PC is a monster. So if your PC can't handle the CPU strain then put it on a mono group. But make sure your edits are clean eg. Overlapping parts/events might sound messy.

If that's what floats your boat! Nothing beats using the standalone tone direct monitoring when recording.

You mean this thing? Does exactly the same thing.

cubase%20monitor.jpg

Yes I mean that thing, latency is worse than standalone and you have to turn the monitoring button off and on every time to listen back. That can only be annoying!

...Just adjust the buffer lower when tracking. At least I can track just fine with 128-256 buffer size. Just map the input monitoring on and off to a key (I have it set to "K") or set up a new track that you use solely for input monitoring of your playing and record to the track next to it.

bitch-why-make-things-so-complicated.jpg

^^^^^
I dont see why you arguing? I'm just saying how i do it, its way more reliable as my workflow doing it that way and less CPU hungry. Reamping is what i prefer, even when you track just a Di and echo the channel, you still have to go back and tweak the podfarm settings during the mixing stage.

Direct monitoring = 0 ms of latency
128 samples on my computer = 4.5 ms of latency

I think there's a clear winner here. Plus, there's less processing power used which could be an issue when you've already got a lot of tracks lined up. Onedaysky's method makes a lot more sense in this case.

Record a Wet and Dry signal through Podfarm standalone. Then when reamping I insert podfarm vst insert on the DI, usually about 4 - 8 instances. But my PC is a monster. So if your PC can't handle the CPU strain then put it on a mono group. But make sure your edits are clean eg. Overlapping parts/events might sound messy.

how do u record on the pod farm standalone? and also, is there a way for me to monitor an amp while tracking, but when i record it prints just the DI?

...Just adjust the buffer lower when tracking. At least I can track just fine with 128-256 buffer size. Just map the input monitoring on and off to a key (I have it set to "K") or set up a new track that you use solely for input monitoring of your playing and record to the track next to it.

bitch-why-make-things-so-complicated.jpg

+1

and, with any latency, if you aren't broken, you'll adjust anyway

how do u record on the pod farm standalone? and also, is there a way for me to monitor an amp while tracking, but when i record it prints just the DI?

You route Podfarm standalone to 2 inputs in your DAW, mine are send 1 (left) and send 2 (right) .On my UX8 its Tone Processed 9 (left) and tone processed 11 (right). Change the inputs on the track you are recording onto eg. if you have 8 tracks for example, my routing goes Track1-left, Track2-right, Track3-Left, Track4-Right etc. And record2 tracks at a time (L+R)

You track either a dry signal or processed signal , or both.

I think monitoring in your DAW is much simpler, but if you feel more comfortable doing it your way, that's great.

C'mon guys, it doesn't matter HOW you get things done as long as you get things done ;)

Direct monitoring = 0 ms of latency
128 samples on my computer = 4.5 ms of latency

I think there's a clear winner here.

Not really, because digital processing ALWAYS causes latency and since you have to go from analog to digital and again digital to analog to use pod farm, you have created minimum of 2 x 32 samples (in and out) of latency + add any possible latency pod farm does. And I bet your sound card is set at something like 128-256 samples of latency. And if you work at 44.1khz sampling rate, that equals to 44.1 samples per ms, so if you work at 128 samples, that is same as 3ms of latency, and some interfaces add some latency on top of that if they have some sort of DSP system on them. Also if you have a DAW open at the same time, you have latency anyway, so why do the extra unnecessary step?

If you have ever been on stage, there is always a small latency in the real world too, because the speed of sound is not the speed of light. Speed of sound is roughly 340 m/s, which equals to 0.34 m / ms, so if you listen thru monitors and move 1.5m (~5ft) back (you know, maybe you have a desk in front of you and someone operates the computer on it and you sit a further back, you might even get way more, like 3m distance from the speakers), the amount of latency is equal to if you would listen directly with headphones with pod farm.

I think there's a clear winner here. Plus, there's less processing power used which could be an issue when you've already got a lot of tracks lined up. Onedaysky's method makes a lot more sense in this case.

You can always print the tracks inside your DAW too.