Sturdy mic clips?!

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
EDIT: Sorry, I meant the clamps, not the clips.... *facepalms head right off*

What might be a good mic clip to hold Shure SM57s on snare/toms? I bought a few of the D-Vice ones from Audix, but they were complete garbage; gooseneck design can't support the weight of the SM57s and the mics would end up drifting down as the drummer played and resting on the heads. I have one or 2 of the Shure metal clamps which are sturdy, but I'm missing a few, and they cost like $75 for 3 of them (about the same price as the D-Vice ones).....

I heard the mention of just using mic stands instead of clips......but that just seems like it might get a bit crowded. Or should I just bite the bullet and invest in some smaller, more lightweight snare/tom mics?

it's for recording. I'm still unsure exactly how I want to do this project. It's for my own band. I have another thread in the Production Tips section discussing the best way to go about it with the gear we have. The more I think about it, the more I want to just trigger all the shells and record real OHs and a room mic. I'm just a bit overwhelmed by having to create my own samples/.tcis (probably be buying Trigger EX before starting this).

I may make samples right off the bat, then trigger everything. I'm just worried that my samples will come out sounding blah compared to some of the ones I got that were floating around here. Plus, I've never messed with MIDI from a drum brain before. I guess it's all just about trial and error.

Either way you want to do it should be fine, you can take your time making as many samples and getting them to sound right and then blend with other samples. You may want to just record the triggers as straight audio, instead of midi. This will probably make slip-editing (if you do that) a bit easier.

Either way you want to do it should be fine, you can take your time making as many samples and getting them to sound right and then blend with other samples. You may want to just record the triggers as straight audio, instead of midi. This will probably make slip-editing (if you do that) a bit easier.

Well, the problem I run into here is: I have either a Fast Track Pro (2 mic inputs and MIDI input) OR Profire 2626 (8 mic inputs and MIDI input).

My new laptop has no firewire port, so I'd have to use my old busted up laptop if we used the Profire. I was thinking I wanted to mic everything with the 8 inputs and use the MIDI from triggers and record all of it. I also thought about just using the FTP and recording 2 OHs and trigger the shells....which would make my life a whole lot easier, but then I'd most likely be sacrificing quality if I don't use the Profire, and I wouldn't have the natural tones to work with.