__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Subaudition – Waves At Ease
Self-released – Promo - 2004-05-27
By Russell Garwood

subaud.jpg

Finnish duo Subaudition play minimalistic, acoustic and highly atmospheric, mood-driven music. Formed by Antti Korpinen and Roope Niemelä of unsigned progmetallers Manifold Object this project is a vehicle for their unplugged/classically influenced compositions. Acoustic guitars, clarinet and strings are all used to great effect, crating serene melodies, while the sound remains varied, despite at-times slightly formulaic songs. This isn’t a problem, as the duo’s formula is highly successful, and the pieces are all tranquil and memorable. Further diversity is added by glistening electric guitars, often reminiscent of Pink Floyd. Two piano-only instrumentals have a score-like quality, reminding me of Yann Tiersen’s piano pieces for Amelie. Occasional singing is fitting (if sometimes slightly off-key), with impressive range, while layering makes for more complex compositions. There is no percussion at all on this promo, which works well with the slow, considered pieces.

The production is good for demo, the sounds are clean instruments well balanced. This is a very promising release, my only major complaint being the length; I would like to hear more to get a better idea of the pair’s music. Waves At Ease is likely to appeal to fans of (later) Anathema, Sigur Rós and Pink Floyd, and fans of peaceful music. I look forward to hearing further releases to see how the band develop, and whether their music can remain as effective on a full-length. An excellent debut…

Official Subaudition website