Sucky direct bass sounds shootout

Going for a good clean tone here, I'll move onto processing later.
If that's the case, going straight into the preamp is what I would recommend.

The only reason I used the Sansamp on the clip you posted above was because the Martech MSS-10 has no 1/4" input. While I was at it, I went ahead and nastied it all up, but I often wait to do that. With that said, in the context of the Toontrack Mixing Wars: Metal mix I still duplicated the track and tossed a DS-1 emulator on it to blend in a really nasty tone.

I do think the Agile in my above review is EXCELLENT for the money. However, it's probably not going to give the bass sound of the century. Then again, only a real bass player is going to make a bass sound like a real bass. For my needs, the Agile is a nice fall back in the event that we have unideal circumstances. It's totally up to my standards.

Brandon

I'm getting a 5 string SX bass for Christmas, just way to many positive reviews of how they are. I'll probably splurge for new pickups fairly soon as well.

I wouldn't advise on getting a 5er unless you get one of the higher-end ones (Douglas/Brice) or you're tuning it with a high C. I have a 5-string SX fretless jazz and the low B sounded (and felt, really) like complete ass on the 34" scale, I have no idea why. This is even after I changed the bridge from the default shitty thin bridge that came on it. Fwiw my GSR200 (also a 34" scale) can go to A and sound fine with the same string.

The brightness is coming from the wood. The Rondo J is all alder, as compared to your mahogany guitar, which will definitely give a smoother warmer sound.

Metaltastic: I honestly don't think the strings will make a huge difference, I'm pretty sure the bass tonewood is stopping him from getting the sound he's looking for.

I agree with the first part and strongly disagree with the second. The difference between steel and nickel is huge.

Yes I listened your clips. It's normal that with a flat eq the bass sound is shitty, but I said that because if the bass is a budget one, it's better to use an external eq (also plugin) instead of the bass eq.

I've got a new quality preamp coming this week so I'll see if that makes the difference.

From what I've heard of the rondo basses they're a lot closer to the tone I want, no eq.

I don't think the Pre will make a huge difference. Regardless if it did, you want a good core tone, because it will always sound better than a lot of effects to make something sound like something it isn't.

Brought this home today after playing all the bases at my local shop.

4anq8

got for $600cdn taxes in. Sold the old bass on Clist for $400.

This is MUCH better.