Suffocation - Dearly departed?

Utuk Xul

Demon Spawn
Feb 13, 2002
The 9th level of Hell
Visit site
There should really be a board for this departed band. I was just watching a bootleg and this band fucking kills. How Cannibal Corpse was more popular than them is beyond me. They pretty much embarass every other brutal DM band out there today. There really is no justice in the music biz...

Well for one thing,they've just got back together (Albeit without their greatest asset,Chris Richards) so a departed forum seems a little silly.

Holy fucking shit dude! Where did you hear this???? And damn, Chris was awesome, I play bass too and watching the bootleg sort of pissed me off because he made playing those songs look like a walk in the park! Talk about "underrated" - They should have Chris' picture next to it in a dictionary.

Chris and Doug are both pretty pissed off that Suffocation will be back together....

They don't want to be part of the project, and they both think that it should remain departed...

I'd agree though, let's wait and see what comes of it.

Suffocation are gods. I agree..any suffocation is better than none at all. I just need to see one more tour with these guys and I'll be satisfied. They'll probably call it quits for good after this go around. There's isn't anything they can do much better than Despise the Sun the way I see it..although hell I could most definitely be wrong. We're talking about Suffocation. I'm just gonna sit back and watch.

Brutality? Hell Yeah..."These Walls Shall Be Your Grave"

Sad thing about the bootleg is when Mullen said they needed to record an EP because "there's alot of shit floating around". It's been 4 years and he's still right.

They gotta come back and show these shitty bands how its done.

Let's see Chris Richards is a amazing bassist but he wrote very little music for suffocation, if any at all. Also Doug "The Riff Master" Cerrito is fucking incredible also but the other Suffocation guitarist Terrance Hobbs wrote way more material for Suffocation then Doug Did even tho Doug wrote wicked shit. So they are still going to kick ass in the reuinion because they have 1 original guitarist Terrance and they have Frank on vocals so it will sound like Suffocation. Also Mike Smith is a great drummer, and says he wouldnt have the reunion if he wasnt as extreme as the other drummers, and he is.

Despise the Sun does rule,
mabby they dont have to top it...

what if they just recorded several new songs then put them on Despise the Sun to make it a full album?

id love that and be satisfied with that :)

ever quite recovered from the horrible injustice of Cannibal Corpse being more popular than them, either ;)

As for this reunion-shit: during 93-97 or so, I saw LOTS of Suffo shows and practice sessions and it was my opinion that Cerritto was, fundamentally, responsible for what 99% of folks perceive as being Suffocation's 'style'. Yeah, Hobbs did write a lot of happy-riffs, but the brutality was all about Cerritto (although, Hobbs *is* a superior soloist) and, insofar as bass & drums were concerned, Cerrito established the lead for them to follow. You have to know that this type of inability to "play well with others" factored tremendously into the inevitable demise of the band.

In my opinion, the lineup for this reunion is every bit as tenuous, personality-wise, as the final line-ups Suffo endured. That said, I'd venture a guess that the probability of them ever actually getting on well enough & long enough with one another to get new material written and recorded is slim-to-none.

I definitely think we'll see the revived-Suffo out on tour though, here in the States only, but I'll be SHOCKED if any new material comes of this . . .

Mike Smith says there going to get the stuff from Pierced/Effigy down and then tour, and work on new material. Terrance probably has 4 years worth the riff's too that he hasnt used. I think if they do make a cd it will be there best one.

Well I certainly don't know if it would be their best one...

I sure hope it will be of the same quality that Suffocation is known for.

As for not being as well-known as Cannibal Corpse, fuck CC... they're Mallcore now. :p

:devil: