Suggestion on this mix before I send out for mastering (Metalcore/Deathcore)

sounds a bit over compressed to my ears, sounds like the whole mix could open up a bit the guitars sound alright but the rhythm gets buried when the leads come in so you could probably bring it up a little bit also its sounds a little under-gained when the guitars are by themselves near the end because they dont have the kick pumping them so you might wanna mix the guitar breaks separately so you can compensate for the difference, that's just through my headphones. otherwise i really like the song man, especially the yelling type vox about half way through. sounds very as i lay dyingish, nice job overall

I like the mix a lot! The glitches surprised me a lot and I dig them!

Only things I'd change: The snare needs to be WAAAAY beefier. And I'm not into pigsqueels but that's a matter of songwriting preferences

You could blend the snare a little with a sample, because it still sounds a bit EZdrummer-ish. Other than that, it's sounds a bit over-compressed but songwriting-wise it's top notch.

The snare needs more balls but other than that i dig it... It sounds very as i lay dying ish in the guitars but thats good for metalcore...

Thanks for all the comments so far guys. This is my first "real" audio production btw, these suggestions will really help me focus on certain elements that are lacking that my ears are too tired to pick up on right now, haha. The snare needs more body, much agreed. The way I recorded it was one AudixI-5 on top so eqing up the body will probably cause some bad artifacts, maybe need to mix a sample in, or replace it all together if i have the time. When tracking I tried to keep all my faders as close to unity when going in and if a certain group needed a bump I did so with their respective aux send. The reason its sounding over compressed is most likely cuz all my gtr/drum/bass auxs are slamming their compressors and I have those aux faders too high when I should have compensated the gain difference on the actual dry tracks themselves. I have a few more adjustments to make but atleast I think i'm in the ballpark for a good final mix. Keep the comments coming guys! All is helpful!!

So I addressed all the problems that were brought up previously and have a 3rd, and hopefully final, mix to share. I feel its far superior than the other two mixes. The guitars are more distinct as a result of undoing the over eq'ing I had done previously, the kick is more present, the snare has more body, the stereo image is wider, I eased off the drum group compression and I brought the OH's up a tad. Here it is... plz leave a comment on anything you think might be a concern or need adjusting... or if you even happen to like it . Thanks guys!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20963810/Jac...L!!!.mp3

So I addressed all the problems that were brought up previously and have a 3rd, and hopefully final, mix to share. I feel its far superior than the other two mixes. The guitars are more distinct as a result of undoing the over eq'ing I had done previously, the kick is more present, the snare has more body, the stereo image is wider, I eased off the drum group compression and I brought the OH's up a tad. Here it is... plz leave a comment on anything you think might be a concern or need adjusting... or if you even happen to like it . Thanks guys!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20963810/Jac...L!!!.mp3

bad link.... here's the right one

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20963810/Jacob's_Ladder_FINAL!!!.mp3

something about that snare is bothering me :\ it's very snappy. it only really stands out in the blast beats but other than that fantastic mix!

sounds good but i do agree about the snare being the low point of the mix.

what did you use for guitars / bass?

sounds good

sounds good but i do agree about the snare being the low point of the mix.

what did you use for guitars / bass?

sounds good

yea, the snare is flat... it is what it is at this point. Too far into it to go through and resample a different one. The guitars I used an ltd esp and schecter C-1 blackjack into a CS-3>TS-9>NS-1>Peavey 5150>1960's straight lead cab. Bass was just a fender squire P-bass direct into an MPAII with a sansamp plugin + CLA and a some mean eq-ing.

yea, the snare is flat... it is what it is at this point. Too far into it to go through and resample a different one. The guitars I used an ltd esp and schecter C-1 blackjack into a CS-3>TS-9>NS-1>Peavey 5150>1960's straight lead cab. Bass was just a fender squire P-bass direct into an MPAII with a sansamp plugin and a few others.

You sure this isn't Superior Drummer we're hearing? I use it constantly and I'm pretty sure that snare is the black beauty sample, switch it to the rogers wood snare, and it will sound way more realistic. Also I like to send my snare track to an aux channel with a stereo delay and a good amount of reverb (fader kept pretty low obviously), this really makes the snare sound like it's "filling the room".

Other than that everything seems nice and balanced, I know metal is super tough, so good job.

You sure this isn't Superior Drummer we're hearing? I use it constantly and I'm pretty sure that snare is the black beauty sample, switch it to the rogers wood snare, and it will sound way more realistic. Also I like to send my snare track to an aux channel with a stereo delay and a good amount of reverb (fader kept pretty low obviously), this really makes the snare sound like it's "filling the room".

Other than that everything seems nice and balanced, I know metal is super tough, so good job.

If it weren't for that drumroll in the beginning I wouldn't think it was a superior snare but yeah sounds pretty much like it.
I always use the Slingerland sample because I can process it easily to my taste.
On another note the bass sounds fucken great!

Its was the 14x5.5 floating maple.

If it weren't for that drumroll in the beginning I wouldn't think it was a superior snare but yeah sounds pretty much like it.
I always use the Slingerland sample because I can process it easily to my taste.
On another note the bass sounds fucken great!

The drumroll IS actually an automated SD 2.0 sample... as retarded as it sounds I'm not the best drummer to grace this earth, and I had to lay down ALL the instruments on these recordings i've been working on. Thank god for beat detection! :worship: but yea the bass took some time to dial in a good agressive top end. I'm glad you like it!

So here's the link to the finished product for anyone that was interested. I ended up having to master it myself in Ozone after the M.E. I paid $500 to put it through the f*cking wash and wanted to charge another $500 per revision... I'm still pretty bitter about the conversation that transpired in his room some weeks ago. So yea, after this I decided that I never want to have to mix my own material again. Next please!!

www.facebook.com/ghostofabel