Suggestions for 'other' Four Horsemen...

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
We all know about the Four Horsemen or the BIg Four of thrash - so why has there never really been a recognised 'Big Four' of the other genres of metal? How about some suggestions for some? Here's my take on a few... remember, these are not necessarily the best bands in the style, more that they could be the four bands everyone instantly thinks of when they hear of each genre.

Death Metal - Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Nile and Deicide
Black Metal - Emperor, Immortal, Darkthrone and Mayhem
Grindcore - Napalm Death, Brutal Truth, Anal Cunt, Extreme Noise Terror
Power Metal - Iron Maiden, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth

And so on and so forth... any takers?

Doom had The Big Three - Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema. At least I think those were the Big Three.

Dreamlord said:
Doom had The Big Three - Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema. At least I think those were the Big Three.

Those are indeed the big three. Though Paradise Lost and Anathema don't really play "doom" anymore. But I still like them.

Cool idea.

Progressive: Watchtower, Fates Warning, King Diamond, Dream Theater

And while I know they aren't terribly old, am I the only one who thinks Electric Wizard deserves a spot in the doom area?

dill_the_devil said:

Good idea, but I would argue a few of them.

Firstly, I would not call Iron Maiden power metal, in any way. I can see where you're coming from kind of, but I'd say there's a difference between Maiden's traditional style and the likes of Helloween.

Also, perhaps Carcass deserve a place in the Grindcore category, although they are not necessarily completely Grindcore.

Other than that yep, looks good!

Yogota said:
Melodic Death Metal only has 3 Horsemen.. ^^; Children of Bodom, In Flames&Soilwork o_o

Hhhmm...I disagree. For a start COB can't really be categorised as melodic death metal, and secondly, I reckon these are the real big 4:

At the Gates
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity

perhaps slightly wrong, but I reckon that is more accurate

As far as doom is concerned, I´d rather pick Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus and Trouble, but perhaps I´m just somewhat old-fashioned in this regard. Well, maybe you could call it "Old school doom".

Death Metal - Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Death, Nile
Black Metal - Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone
Power Metal - Stratovarius, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall
Melodic Death - In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, At The Gates

dill_the_devil said:
We all know about the Four Horsemen or the BIg Four of thrash - so why has there never really been a recognised 'Big Four' of the other genres of metal? How about some suggestions for some? Here's my take on a few... remember, these are not necessarily the best bands in the style, more that they could be the four bands everyone instantly thinks of when they hear of each genre.

Incredibly stupid question follows here. Who are considered the Big Four in thrash? I have never heard of this as an established, commonly agreed upon, "group". I am guessing Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth and, who, Testament?

Well for a start I'd take Anthrax and Megadeth out of the 'major 4' and put in Testament and Exodus.
The Big 3 of Black Metal is Burzum, Darkthrone and Immortal.

I wouldn't call Iron Maiden power metal, nor Children Of Bodom melodic death, but that's just my opion.

thrash: Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica :lol:, Anthrax
death metal: Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Death, Obituary
melodic death: At The Gates, Dissection, Dark Tranquility, older In Flames
black metal: Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, Immortal
doom metal: Cathedral, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost
traditional metal: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead
power metal: Helloween, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth

I know some of the bands I listed aren't around anymore or don't play their original genre of metal anymore.