I held my head down I know
and you walked around in circles
I'm sure you already knew
if I only knew it too

so much I want to ask you
you have no time to let me do so
there is no light in my pathway
you must tell me where to go

Just wondering if what everyone's interpretation of this song is. What do you think think the speaker wishes he had known?...Maybe we should also keep this thread for lyric discussion?

he wishes he had known that she already knew the relationship was at an end.

the point of the song is, at least i believe, that the girl knew it was ending but the guy didn't.. excellent song btw..

redundant...

i always saw sulfur as a song about decisions which were never made... the speaker thinks back in time and he sees all his possibilities from a different point of view. he knows that all those opportunities could have changed his life but he was to weak to do it. he was able to go different ways. he had the chance but he was to weak. and nowadays he doesn't have such possibilities anymore and he is still weak... i never really thought about a relation mentioned in this song... hm but there is... gnaah... i like my interpretation ^^

I think he's talking about how he could have loved this girl but was too afraid to find out if she felt the same way or didn't notice it until it was too late and she felt the same for him but didn't take it on herself to tell him but now it's too late for all of that because they're much older.

something was in his heart but he never had the match to start the fire.

also I wouldn't describe him as weak because he was a very passionate person but never had the motivation.

"I could have written books for you"

every word in this song drains my heart.

for me i´ts about love for for an ex love,you know ex-girlfriend?

this is exactly how it feels, and this is why love katatonia, and this is why i go on.

thank you jonas

i see it as a song about lost chances. basically, a song about something that could have been great but was never achieved.
you look back at the opportunities which were given to you by someone... and how you missed them out of laziness and cowardliness, or even stupidity... if you only knew 'the someone' was just waiting for you to take them... but it's too late... and you realize you 'played' with something unique...

this is a very, very, very personal interpretation though :zombie:

°scarlet° said:
i see it as a song about lost chances. basically, a song about something that could have been great but was never achieved.
you look back at the opportunities which were given to you by someone... and how you missed them out of laziness and cowardliness, or even stupidity... if you only knew 'the someone' was just waiting for you to take them... but it's too late... and you realize you 'played' with something unique...

I interpret it the same way...it's a feeling that I have had many times...Those lyrics are among my favourite!

Vincent J. said:
hehe, I don't think it's that underrated!
in my case it's also one of my favourites;)

Yeah but I mean...It's on a single...That's album material. And it's not like you hear people screaming about it.

Rarrr...

LifeDepraved said:
Yeah but I mean...It's on a single...That's album material. And it's not like you hear people screaming about it.

Rarrr...
ah well, I bought a version of last fair deal gone down which had some 'bonustracks' including sulfur =P

and well, katatonia just make it worth to buy singles like that;)

BlueSky said:
something was in his heart but he never had the match to start the fire.

That's what I was thinking, he didn't knew he had feelings towards the girl,
before it was too late. Or then he just waited that the girl would give some
kind of sign of interest or something like that. :>

Sulfur is one of my favorites, it gives me the chills.

°scarlet° said:

I had the same interpretation, although I don't include laziness in the reason of missing the opportunities, It's just cowardness and not wanting to be dissapointed